Which sound interface for intense orchestra vst usage?

hello!
hopefully i’m right here :face_with_hand_over_mouth: i could use your help please!
i want to use vst-plugins such as spitfire symphony orchestra and i’m wondering which usb interface i schould buy? do they even have something to do with the amount of instruments that i want to load or how does this work? thank you very much,
cloudrider

The audio interface does not dictate how many virtual instruments you can use within Cubase. This is dictated by the power of your computer and how much memory it has. If you are going to input the notes via a keyboard then an interface with low latency is recommended like RME. The next question is will you be doing all the mixing within Cubase? If yes then you don’t need an interface with multiple outputs.

To answer anymore you will need to put a lot more information about your requirements.

1 Like

Just to add to mkok’s excellent reply, you should also have a lot of solid state storage (SSD) to hold all of the sample libraries and access them quickly. The Spitfire orchestra is huge.

2 Likes

thank you both for your reply @mkok and @Early21.
which RME would you recommand for heave VST-orchestra work?
i want to do the mixing within cubase, yes. i dont know other ways, i think it is possible within cubase…?

Yes totally possible within Cubase.
Do you need lots of microphone inputs or is it just vst instruments? If you only need the interface for monitoring then the Babyface pro fs is great. It also has two mic and two line inputs as well as midi and headphone sockets. If you need more inputs then there are higher models and the option of expansion over adat. I’m sure others can also recommend interfaces. It will all depend on your needs and price point.

1 Like

thank you. no, i dont need mic at all, i do these recordings in another studio.
i have another question though. why does it sometimes crumble when i load several vst-instruments (for instance spitfire orchestra samples) and try playing them all at once. violins,violas,celli,basses and so on. when i try to play them all at once on my keybard it crumbles. why is that? can that be improved or should i just not play too many at once :D?
thank you!

What are you using as your audio interface and what spec is your computer? Both these will impact how much will play at one go.

i have a ssl2+ and my computer is pretty modern (128gb RAM, 8core processor…)

What are your buffers set at? I can run big projects with my buffers set to 64 samples. If you have a huge amount of instruments loaded and play them all at once from a keyboard then you may well be hitting a limit.

1 Like

You should probably mention exactly which CPU you have. Put system specs in your sig.

Anyway, the interface is one item that contributes to latency and so a good interface like the RME will allow for pretty low latencies. But the CPU has to be able to handle it, and if you’re streaming samples the memory subsystem has to be able to deal with it too. So…

CPU and motherboard etc. please…

1 Like

For a great, general solution that isn’t insanely expensive can wholeheartedly recommend the RME HDSPe AIO Pro:

1 Like

thank you all again. my specs are amd ryzon 7 3800, gigabyte x570 gaming x.

@mkok could you explain what it means to set the buffer to 64 or 128 samples? what is this and what is the difference, how does it affect working?

Asio interfaces have a buffer size (in the interface control panel) . Basically the lower the buffer the lower latency (time from playing a note on your keyboard to the time the vsti sounds through the speakers) not all interfaces are equal. Some may have a latency of 2ms at 64 samples and another may have 10ms. RME are recognised for low latency.

If you suffer cracks and pops with the performance monitor maxing out in Cubase then you can try increasing the buffers until it stops. The problem is that playing in real time may become impossible if latency gets too high.

Other problems can arise if the pc has bottle necks or problems with video card drivers. If this happens you can run a program called latencyMon to try and find out what the problem is.

I should imagine playing all vst instruments from a keyboard at the same time would be quite intensive.

1 Like

One simply uses VEPro to host orchestras IMO or AudioGridder