While in video follow edit mode cursor should not jump to selection start

If you could find a different way to preview video position of my edit actions without involving the cursor would be great.

2 Likes

what you mean?

Iā€™ll upload a video so soon as I canā€¦

If you have the ā€˜regularā€™ mode on and click in empty space (if enabled) at exactly 01:05:00:00 then thatā€™s where audio will play from when you press play, and if you select an event that doesnā€™t change.

But if you enable ā€˜edit modeā€™ and select an event that starts at 01:04:50:00 playback will begin there instead of at 01:05:00:00. The ā€œcursorā€/ā€œstart of playbackā€ will move to the beginning of whatever event you have selected in that mode.

1 Like

But what is meant by preview video position?

Iā€™m guessing they mean when you grab an event and move it video will scrub according to the beginning of the selected event. So ā€œpreview video positionā€ = the position in the video where the beginning of the event is (as you move the event which will also scrub video)ā€¦

Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s what they mean.

1 Like

Fantastic Mattias, you translated what I meant very well. There is no longer a need to upload a video

My main problem with this feature is that i canā€™t keep it on all the time as i would like.
If it werenā€™t for those annoying cursor jumps it wouldnā€™t make sense to turn off the ā€œvideo follow editā€ mode. In fact, it is precisely those cursor jumps that remind me that that mode is active and that I have to deactivate it. In my opinion it is boring.

1 Like

I suppose a feature request would be to change the behavior to have it both ways:

When new behavior is activated playback switches to edit mode when one starts moving an event, and returns to ā€œnormalā€ when one releases the event. This way when moving it video scrubs, yet when one lets go play back will start from the last position before initially grabbing the event.

Something like that. Iā€™d think that would be a reasonable feature request.

2 Likes

I would add one more voice wishing for the video follow edit cursor jump to be transient.

1 Like

So much ! It mess me up too much ! Only when MOVING an event should the playhead move to that event!

1 Like

Yes !

I support this request too! I want ā€œvideo follows editā€ to aid me visually when moving a video clip, but the Playhead jumping to the start of an event when selecting it, is not what I want.

There are specific occations when I do want the playhead to jump to the start of an event, but then I simply press ā€œLā€. To me this action has little to do with ā€œvideo follows editā€ mode. Although I sort of get it from a technical point of view ā€“ it still feels unnatural that one should require the other. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The whole reason why initially there wasnā€™t any visible cursor in Edit Mode.

Fredo

But you agree though Fredo that the ā€œvisible cursorā€ and ā€œplayheadā€ doesnā€™t necessarily need to be the same thing?

1 Like

When Edit mode was created it was decided by popular demand to not display the cursor.
Simply because a location cursor is useless at that point.
A black -smaller- cursor appears whenever you move an event to the place where it needs to be placed.
That is your (new) playhead
But most importantly, you donā€™t sync the event according to something or a place on the timeline, but you sync it with the video.

Edit mode wasnā€™t designed to work in ā€œEdit Modeā€ permanently, Edit mode was designed to be activated only when events needed to be placed in sync with video, thereby skipping the process of first locating to the right spot/placing the event at that point/verify. Not every SFX has itā€™s sync point at the first frame of the event, thatā€™s why Edit Mode is meant to place SFX visually in the correct spot in the timeline. When switching between the two modes, you can work very quick. Edit Mode never was designed to be used permanently.

We can consider an ā€œimprovementā€ of the original ā€œEdit Modeā€, or having different flavors of ā€œEdit Modeā€ to accomodate other workflows. But it was a mistake in the first place to make the cursor visible.

(Thatā€™s my opinion)

Fredo

I understand. I donā€™t really care about the cursor being visible or not, I just meant that making it visible should have nothing to do with the playback head.

I do think an addition (ā€œimprovementā€) as an alternative would be nice.