whitelisting Roland Sound Canvas VA

Hello,

I reinstalled my Roland Sound Canvas VA and try to get it to show up in Dorico 3.5
I went to /user/Library/Preferences/Dorico 3.5 AudioEngine/. As I could not find a vst2whitelist.txt file here, I copied an older version of this file to this location. The Textfile only contains one line with the text:

SOUND Canvas VA

as the VSTs name is: SOUND Canvas VA.vst

which is located at /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/

Still the Roland SOUND Canvas does not show up when reopening Dorico, so I might be missing something.

Any help appreciated (I had this configuration up and running in earlier Dorico versions…)

Please do Help > Create Diagnostics Report and attach the corresponding zip file here. Thanks

Thank you Ulf, after a restart I could choose SOUND Canvas as a VST Instrument in Dorico Play Mode.
Though, after changing an instrument away from the standard piano, I can not save the Dorico project at all. I will have to force quit Dorico. If I re-open the application and create a diagnostic report, it will look like this one here:
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (531 KB)

Thanks for the data. It also contains some crash dumps and they point at Sound Canvas crashing the audio engine. For that reason you also can’t save the project anymore, because Dorico tries to collect data from an audio engine process that is gone and therefore hangs indefinitely.
Regarding Sound Canvas, maybe you can check, if a newer version is available. If not, send the in the diagnostics report contained crash files of the VSTAudioEngine to the maker of the Sound Canvas plug-in. They should know what to do with it in order to fix it.

Thank you Ulf, I will do that.
Just in case anybody else is interested, I am using Roland SOUND Canvas VA version 1.1.6.0 (from the 14th of November 2019). A newer version claims to be available which is supposedly version 1.1.6 - confusing from Rolands side as they have moved to a cloud based system - which gives me a message that an update to my SOUND Canvas Installation is available. Following that message link it says „Locked“ and „Expired“ - whatever that means in this context…

[Edit:] in the mean time Roland has moved its Licensing system to their Roland Cloud.

Hello Ulf, today I got a reply from Roland cooperation:

Dorico isn’t a host that we test with, or support, but I downloaded their demo to see if there was a simple answer to your question. Unfortunately, there isn’t, and Dorico is sufficiently outside the DAW paradigm that it would require too much time for me to explore further. We’re unable to assist you in this matter.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

It seems, they downloaded a trial version - but I wonder if they knew that one has to whitelist their VST plugin to make it recognisable. I am not giving up yet (also because I payed 135€ for it…) so I would like to reply and give them a link to the description, how to whitelist. Is there an official document on the Steinberg site, where I could point them to?
Thank you for help.

ps: in 2019 I testet the Roland SOUND canvas VA with Dorico and it was working fine at that time. So I bought it. This year, after SOUND Canvas and Dorico are both updated, I get these crashes, the combination is not working any more.

The answer of Roland is really lazy and unsatisfying. Tell them that Dorico employs the same audio engine as Cubase.

In the past whitelisting was much more complicated and some official documentation exists for it,
but since Dorico 3 it became way more easy. Unfortunately we were not able to bring the documentation up to date, yet.

So here is what one has to do:

1. Open the Dorico Preferences dialog ( Ctrl/Cmd-, (comma) )
  2. Click VST Plug-ins in the page list.
  3. Check if Sound Canvas appears in the list of blocked plug-ins
    4a) If it does, bring it over to the Allowed list, close the dialog and restart Dorico. Done
    4b) If not, enter the path to Sound Canvas into the list of VST2 search paths, close the dialog, restart Dorico and continue with 3)

I hope that will help them

Thank you Ulf,

this is helpful advice!
I will pass it through and hopefully they will give it an additional try.

On the other hand, it is a 20 year old piece of software (and no longer actively developed) that emulates a 30 year old hardware synth.

That isn’t a reason not to use it if you like what it does, but I don’t think supporting it is going to be at the top of the Roland’s priority list.

K_b wrote that the last version is from Nov 2019, that’s not so ancient. And they still sell it, so they better support it.