Who are the olde members in older Cubase forums you miss ?

Will do when I get home! :smiley:

Yeah, Marcel, I do have contact with him every once in a while.
He’s very busy with his IT work. He does make music (plays drums now, believe it or not! :astonished: ), but he didn’t record anything the last few years…

Yeah, great song. I’ve had the honor of playing a solo on it! :sunglasses:

Hi Braunie

I don’t like getting nostalgic … it takes me places.

I’d have been into missing Paul and Hippo, but …
well … they ain’t gone no more.

I won’t do ‘missing’ Tony … Hack, because I’m still in contact with him and his choices are robust, and I wish him strength. He’s done a heckuva lot of giving, and I celebrate that he’s giving in different directions, for now.
CK … still say hi to him from time to time.
Azelbrax and Bas. Definitely miss them.
Alelbrax gave balance to curmugeonism.
Bas - he was the first to say hello to me, and had an ethic of helping people.
There’s Paul and Hippo for you … they’ve also got an eye out to be helpful.

To keep my sense of balance, I’ll mention there are also some I’m glad to see the back of.
They were the takers. Turned up only when it’s begging or feeding time. Scaveners who glutted and scoffed, then belched what they couldn’t digest over the rest of us. They considered the forums an adventure playground or ego-building assault course, and had zero concern for the safety or feelings of others. May they rot.

Then there are the fallen heroes. Tammo went away … I miss and mourn him.
Mike E too. I would have liked his work to have been treated with respect. He had given much.

I’ve also got memories of moderators … their style was, to some extent like the paint and wallpaper on this ‘building’. Yup … Chris H and Tank. That short period of time when Bas came in. Different eras and different feelings.

I look round this new place and from the first week, thought ‘The Chemistry Has Changed’.
I did what you asked, Braunie … I took a look into the past. It is painful. I return to the present and cast my eyes around this place again and though I reckon I’ll feel more solid in my opinion by the end of February, I really do reckon the chemistry has changed. I like it.

Take care
Glyn

He Bought an acre or so of wilderness somewhere in upstate Florida, where the neighbours are less likely to be upset if he’s seen defending the perimeter brandishing a 12 gauge pump-action :wink: I still swap the odd pleasantry with him. His opinion of ‘Talking Monkeys’ is unchanged :unamused:

I still chat with Bas regularly. He’s pretty much given up recording - I don’t even think he has a Cubase setup at all now, when he has some downtime from his insanely busy dayjob in IT, his new/old passion is fishing.

I learned engineering/producing from reading all of Mike E’s posts back in the day . . . back before all the crazies. :unamused:

Aw please tell them both I said hi !!

Wim – my sincere apology for not crediting you in my post. Really, your INCREDIBLE sax solo took that song to the next level. I should have mentioned all three of us. Again, very sorry! (But don’t the instrumentalists ALWAYS get forgotten? :blush: )

Ha ha… not to be argumentative, but AZLBRAX was the EPITOME of a curmudgeon! What’s more, he’d agree 100%!

From what I gather, where he moved to was so remote that there wasn’t any Internet access, unless he got a sat dish for access. I don’t think he had a phone line even.

Here’s is latest website:

http://www.ianbruce-douglas.com/

I know it’s him because it looks like him AND he was a HUGE cat lover

Azlbrax and I were largely internet rivals, but at times we had peace… in fact, at one point we had a rapprochement that we conducted via email. We talked at length about our favorite poets and the like. Eventually that “detente” broke down a bit when we both migrated to http://www.thatplace.ca – cham’s website – and the old antagonisms resumed.

Ian was actually the most fascinating (along with Dark Irish) Internet character I’ve ever run across. He was in a 60’s psychedelic band called Ultimate Spinach that IIRC made it into the Top 40 album charts without a released single – largely unheard of then and now. He partied with Hendrix. He opened for Jefferson Airplane. I gathered he was a Vietnam Vet (I heard a Green Beret even) and for a time was a contractor for instructing law enforcement people in hand to hand combat and small arms training. He loved cats and had quite a few (at the time I had 4 cats and we often laid down our arms to discuss our cats, much like some Allies and Bosch celebrated Christmas together on the Western Front during parts of WWI). Of course, he DETESTED “Xtianity”…

But his number one adversary was… freerein. What ever happened to THAT dude? Many a time Azl would savagely attack freerein and I’d come to his defense… not because I thought freerein was right, but that it always struck me as if the Wehrmacht were attacking tiny defenseless Luxembourg… or some sh1t like that

I loved Mike E and for awhile both before and after hos death I would chat briefly with his wife on the phone, conveying the prayers and wishes of the Forum boys during his illness. Somebody was his good friend, I can’t quite recall who that was – blue maybe? or even you Glynn? Can’t remember

I too learned a lot from Mike E but I must say that as time has gone on, some of the things he advocated I’ve abandoned as incorrect, some due to my interactions with Mr Woodlock no less. Mike was an analog tape guy… Mike E recommended recording as hot a signal as possible, a widespread axiom back then. Nobody does that now. There were a couple others I won’t bother you about now. But one thing I practice to this day is:

For acoustic guitar, use a LDC placed around the 13th fret, angles slightly at the soundhole. Adjust to taste.

Best piece of recording advice I ever read

Hi Doug

EPITOME
lol … hah - that’s the word.

Larry - Freerein … He’s OK. His back has got better and he’s much more careful around boats. He drops into Geoff’s forum from time to time to say hello. He doesn’t hang around for long when he does but the impression I get is that things are going well for him.

Eh … I jolly well hope that Bubba finds his way here.

:slight_smile:

Oh my… tell me what happened :unamused:

… now Mike E. Blue … Could be, though I tended to associate him more with Tammo. Me … Mike and I did have a private chat thing going concerning music and forum stuff, but I reckon he and I didn’t get to close-buddy with each other in that ‘extended family’ kind of way. More time and maybe we might have. In fact, I think it likely.

By the way, I notice that the healthy eating thread disappeared, so I’ll ask here - how’s your health and generally looking after yourself coming along, Doug? How’s that going?

As far as I remember, it happened while he was active on the old forum … so could be five years ago. Messed him up for quite a while. I think he’d tried to lift and pull a very big boat on its trailer, or it had tipped on him.

I noticed the Rolleyes, so I’m guessing there’s extra relevant context of which I am unaware

I dimly recall his buddies’ name was Richard, so I associated that with blue

By the way, I notice that the healthy eating thread disappeared, so I’ll ask here - how’s your health and generally looking after yourself coming along, Doug? How’s that going?

Feeling good. I haven’t posted a pic like I promised because I can’t find my cable from my camera to the USB port – and a new one is 30 freakin’ dollars!

Well, when you mention “injury” and “boat” here in the US, the usual circumstance is somebody was drinking too much. The roadways are bad enough, but over here there are a lot of lakes and a lot of boaters who have no business driving a boat. And alcohol makes it 100 times worse. We lose roughly 20,000 people a year to alcohol-related driving deaths… and nobody gives a sh1t. Except a group called MADD – Mothers Against Drubk Driving.

I can’t even count the number of friends and acquaintances I’ve lost to drunk driving accidents – ALL of them were sober, innocent victims who were hit by a drunkard

No problem, Doug! And thanks for the compliment. :sunglasses:

I’m glad you’re feeling good. No hurry with the pic. And if you give me permission, I’ll put it in the NYLGT gallery too, because you mentioned that the pictures of you there were part of what motivated you to this recent attention, and I want the record to include you as you choose to be, as you may actually Like to be seen. What kind of USB cable is it? Standard big-to-small connector?

Or some idiosynchratic brand-specific Acessory-ripoff bait? I tend to get my cables off eBay, and am not a happy bunny when ‘need cable NOW’ forces me into my high-street Electronics Shop where the price of every tiny cable and connector is a Joke.

And thanks for bringing me into awareness of the ‘accident-boat’ context. Yup … I’d been totally ignorant.

Take care
Glyn

And yeah, where are Dylan and Bubba? :question:

… and I miss Tim (Goodacre) and Neil (RokGeetar), but they’re still in OZ, so they’ll turn up eventualy.

Are they over in Oz as a part of the ‘Barmy Army’ cricket supporters, or just escaping the horrible winter in Europe :wink: .

Mauri.

Beryliam!!!