Whos' system freezes after a plugin-scan? [SOLVED]

I wonder how many of you find your Nuendo-system frozen after a plugin-scan?
Studio/ VST Plugin Manager/ Rescan All (next to the Search-field)

On both of my systems Nuendo freezes when I try to close the VST-Plugin-Manager window after a plugin-scan and Nuendo has to be forced-quit in order to load again properly. I’m on Mac, 0 plugins blacklisted and 50/50% VST2/VST3…
Just curious…

Niek/ Amsterdam.

Hi,

When you force quit, do you get a crash file? If yes, could you share it here, please?

Thanks for your interest Martin, but no: no crash report is generated. At least: I can not find anything interesting in the the logs folders in my computers…

Can you run “Studio/ VST Plugin Manager/ Rescan All (next to the Search-field)l” on your system for me please?

Thanks again,
Niek/ Amsterdam

Hi,

It doesn’t crash to me here. But I also don’t have a big amount of plug-ins here, to be honest.

Depending on plugin count, it can take forever. Since there is no progress bar, it’s hard to say if it’s unresponsive or just taking a long time. I would initiate a scan just before a lunch break or end of the day and see if it completes when given a stupid amount of time. If you have a ton of plugins, it really could be that.

by Martin.Jirsak » 01 Apr 2020 23:20
It doesn’t crash to me here. But I also don’t have a big amount of plug-ins here, to be honest.

I’ve got 61 VST2 and 66 VST3 plugins.
I don’t know if this is a lot?

by Getalife2 » 02 Apr 2020 00:10
Depending on plugin count, it can take forever.

When I am working in my template and when I click “Rescan All” in Studio/ VST Plugin Manager/ Rescan All (next to the Search-field), then Nuendo shows this pixelised logo from the 90’s saying “scanning”, and after less than 10 seconds this disappears and a message appears with the number of new plugins it discovered (obviously this is 0 now)…
Then, after another 10 seconds Nuendo renders completely unresponsive and I have to force quit it.

by Martin.Jirsak » 01 Apr 2020 13:13
When you force quit, do you get a crash file? If yes, could you share it here, please?

This morning, I wanted to see what’s exactly going on after I clicked “Rescan All”, so I didn’t load my template (which takes about 5 minutes to load completely) but I chose the “Empty” project from the Hub, and immediately clicked Studio/ VST Plugin Manager/ Rescan All after the project had finished loading.
Again, this “Scanning” logo appeared, it again returned 0 new plugins, but now Nuendo didn’t freeze after a couple of seconds, it crashed completely and it unexpectedly quit!
Plus; it returned a crash report, which I included.
When I look at it, it seems that HALION SONIC is the culprit? Or am I pointing at the bad guy too fast?

Nuendo 10_2020-04-02-075940.crash (154 KB)
Looking forward to hearing some more serious reactions?
Thanks again.

Niek/ Amsterdam.

Hi,

The crash is in HALion Sonic SE. Please download and install the latest update from Steinberg Download Assistant.

Thanks Martin,
I opened Steinberg Download Assistant, there I opened “VST Instruments & Plugins” , opened “Absolute 4 VST Collection” , and from there I downloaded “Halion Sonic SE 3 - 3.4.0”.
Is this the correct file?

I installed it, restarted my computer, opened the “Empty” project from Nuendo’s Hub, did a “Rescan All” but unfortunately: Nuendo unexpectedly quit, including a crash report, which returns -again- that Halion Sonic SE is the culprit…

Nuendo 10_2020-04-02-101621.crash (154 KB)
Where is this Halion Sonic SE-plugin located on my system? Maybe I can check something from there?

Thanks for your help on this.
Niek/ Amsterdam.

Hi,

You are right, it does crash in Halion Sonic SE again and I can see 3.4.0 version has been installed.

The plug-in itself sits in the system/ ⁨Library⁩/Audio⁩/⁨Plug-Ins⁩/⁨VST3⁩/⁨Steinberg⁩/ folder. But I doubt you can find or tweet something there. Could you try to trash/rename HALion Sonic SE preferences folder, please?

Halion Sonic SE Preferences folders i:
Mac: ~/Library/Preferences/HALion Sonic SE

Rename the folder to _current date_HALion Sonic SE, please. Then you will get factory settings of HALion Sonic SE.

I found the location of HALion Sonic SE.vst3 .
It was located at /Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Components.
When I remove it and put it on my desktop, Nuendo does a “Scan All” flawlessly! :smiley:

Though…the VST Plugin Manager still shows the presence of the HALion Sonic SE-plugin…but now: in another location: /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3/Steinberg…

Looks like this is the real culprit ?
It turns out that Steinbergs’ instruments were installed in 2 locations on my computer.

Which is the proper location where Steinbergs’ instruments should be installed?
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Components?
or
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3/Steinberg?

Thanks, Niek/ Amsterdam.

Hi,

Oh, you are right…

In the /Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Component/ folder, Steinberg stores its own plug-ins, which are visible from Cubase/Nuendo/WaveLab only.

Interesting is, on my side, I can see very old HALion Sonic SE version (1.1.0), in the Application Support/Steinberg/Components/ folder, but in my /Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3/Steinberg/ folder, there is HALion Sonic SE 3.4. When I start Cubase, I can see 3.4.0 version is in use.

In my previous post I described how I’ve “deleted” this instance of 'HALion Sonic SE.vst3" from /Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Components. When I run the “Halion_Sonic_SE_3.4_Installer_mac”-installer again though, my Mac installs the HALion Sonic SE.vst3-file at
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Components
instead of at
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3/Steinberg

So, it seems that Steinberg prefers to have its instrument-plugins located at /Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Components ?

Niek/ Amsterdam

First:
Thanks for your help Martin, again this was very very helpful. :smiley:

In the /Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Component/ folder, Steinberg stores its own plug-ins, which are visible from Cubase/Nuendo/WaveLab only.

Thanks for confirming!

Interesting is, on my side, I can see very old HALion Sonic SE version (1.1.0), in the Application Support/Steinberg/Components/ folder, but in my /Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3/Steinberg/ folder, there is HALion Sonic SE 3.4. When I start Cubase, I can see 3.4.0 version is in use.

On my system it was EXACTLY the same! I deleted the HALion Sonic SE version (1.1.0) from the /Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3/Steinberg/ folder, in order Nuendo not to confuse with the HALion Sonic SE version (3.4.0) in the /Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Components-folder

Now “Scan All” works flawlessly and even HALion Sonic SE works!

Thanks for working this out together.
Niek/ Amsterdam.

Glad you got it solved.

And very cool of you to nail it, Martin!

Hmmmmm…I think I cheered too soon…the issue has returned… :frowning:

Now I moved HALion Sonic SE version (3.4.0)
from
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Components
to
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3/Steinberg

…and now everything is working again.
…but I’ve said that before…fingers crossed.

Thanks!
Niek/ Amsterdam.