Why am I limited to 2 clip FX on Wavelab Elements 11?

Here it says 8 on official comparisons

But in the software its locked at 2?

If you try to add you get an error warning > “you cannot create more than 2 plugin slots per clip”

Thanks!

Joe.

I’m not sure what document you’re looking at but it does seem that in Elements, Clip Effects are limited to 2, Track Effects are limited to 2, Montage Output limited to 2, and the Global Master Section has 8 slots. I don’t use Elements for any work so I could be wrong, but that’s what I’m seeing right now.

I don’t know how else to say this but I think for the type of work you’re doing, you need the Pro version. The Elements version has so many limitations you’re going to keep banging into.

And more importantly, you may start to develop bad habits and unnecessary workarounds that you don’t have to do with the Pro version such as the track length being determined by the length of each clip rather than determining track lengths with Track Markers for more advanced practices.

I’d probably rather use HOFA CD-Burn.DDP.Master Pro than WaveLab Elements, but WaveLab Pro is an absolute advantage over HOFA CD-Burn.DDP.Master and anything else I’ve tried to use.

UPDATE : I did find a Pro vs. Elements comparison on the Steinberg website which as far as I can tell has an unfortunate error claiming that Elements allows for 8 Clip Effects.

The Pro version allows 16 Clip Effects.

Hi Justin, just came to post a reply but I noticed you clocked the same error as me.

This is the issue, that the Steinberg table is wrong, the software itself is capped at 2.

I will keep cracking on with the other bits and bobs and look at full version demo.

Unfortunately I won’t be buying it right away if do demo it due to lack of funds to jump all in.

I use Elements all the time in my workflow so that’s not an issue.

Cheers again mate,

Joe

I know that for version 11, the Pro version got increased slots. I’m just not sure if the website is wrong, or if it’s a bug with Elements that only 2 slots are available right now.

I’m sure PG will weigh in.

Where? WaveLab Elements is normally limited to 2.

On THIS page is does indicate that 8 Clip Effects are possible in Elements 11.

Hi, thanks for clearing this up Justin.

FYI - I use Wavelab Elements day in day out as it is, I just updated it and noticed a lot of workflow stuff was moving more to modern mastering so was mocking up a few fake mastering sessions to see if I could get my head round it.

If I like the interface I will demo the full version.

Limiting to 2 FX isn’t holding me back right now, was just confused as on the website it says 8 and I was hoping to do a few singles in WL. 2 of course is not enough.

Cheers!

I would highly suggest demo’ing the Pro version before making any decisions. I saw your post on GS but I don’t have an account there anymore and can’t reply.

All of what you want to (and more) is possible in the Pro version. Especially the “Within one session bounce out Wav at various SR, Flac and MP3s all with the same meta data?” part.

This is a big part of why I use WaveLab. Assemble once, render everything, and then make Save As… derivatives for the instrumental master, vinyl master, cassette master, etc. I don’t have time to waste and WaveLab helps me not waste time or long for anything more.

There is more than one way to do a lot of things in WaveLab. To render different sample rates, you can use the Resampler in the Master Section and then add a true peak limiter (if desired) and a dither after the Resampler but as I’ve mentioned many times, I dislike the Master Section as it’s not automatically saved and loaded with each montage. It’s global and requires babysitting and extra attention. I don’t use this method.

I prefer to use the “Custom Montage Duplicate” feature which allows you to render and bake in your processing at 64-bit foat/native sample rate, have WaveLab create a new montage from it so among other things you can double check that the processing happened without errors, and then you can use an external SRC of your choice such as RX, or the WaveLab Batch Processor, etc. to downsample and the use the “Custom Montage Duplicate” to have WaveLab perfectly recreate the montage at the target sample rate before rendering a WAV or mp3 of each track.

All the metadata is carried over and only has to be entered one time and with some little tricks, the initial entry is fast as can be.

It looks like a lot in words but I fly through this is in seconds minus the rendering & resampling time which will depend on length of project and how fast your computer is.

You can also copy and paste FX chains from one clip to another, or you can do a Save As… and populate an existing clip with a new audio file.

When I’m doing singles, I do the main version and instrumental, TV mix, etc. all in the same montage. It’s easy to copy the clip gain, volume envelope, etc. from clip to clip.

Or better yet, when doing singles I just stick to Montage Track FX and Montage Output FX so that whatever plugins are inserted are affecting all versions of the song and you don’t have to remember to copy or update the Clip FX from the main version to the other versions. It’s easy to make a small tweak to the main version and forget to update the instrumental and/or TV mix so for singles, I’ve just started to use Track FX and Montage Output FX only which solves that problem.

However, when I’m doing an EP or album, I wait until the album master is approved and then just Save As… from the approved montage and add [Instrumental] the montage name, and then replace the clips with the instrumental versions, update the track titles to have [Instrumental] in the name and then render those. This way, all the settings are retained from the main version.

I’m not sure about exporting metadata to CSV and pasting into an Excel sheet because that sounds like too much extra work. If you check THIS screen shot it looks like CSV is an option but always export as PDF which is more than fine for me and no extra work.

Here’s a PDF of a digital master, and each vinyl side:

If this project had ISRC codes they’d be visible too, and the report is highly customizable.

If you’re looking for a “for a one stop mastering DAW” I think WaveLab is it, but not the Elements version, and it will take more than 3 days to learn it.

However, the payoff will be worth it. I don’t like to waste time or mess around which is why I use WaveLab.

I think the Elements has far too many limitations to really judge what’s possible in WaveLab Pro. As mentioned, I’d use HOFA before WaveLab Elements, but the Pro version of WaveLab is the sh*t.

It’s all possible which is why I use it and have no plans to change. Steinberg is a big company with a long history and I feel that WaveLab is safe and future-proof unlike some of the more boutique mastering software options which can disappear overnight, and have.

1 Like