Why are Padshop and Retrologue installed in BOTH VST2/VST3?

Does anyone know why Cubase installs Retrologue and Padshop in both its VST2 (Program Files/Steinberg/Plugins) and VST3 (Program Files/Common Files/VST3) folders? When I add an Instrument Track it only shows me the VST3 options so I deleted the VST2 versions from the VST2 folder and nothing bad happened.

Just wondering why it gets installed in both locations and if its OK that i removed the VST2 version in order to mimize clutter and confusion. :question:

Aloha m,

Shot in the dark here.

Perhaps for users running exclusivly in 32 bit mode.
{‘-’}

I thought of that but unlikely. I installed Cubase 7.5 64-bit only and it was installed in both locations. Furthermore, both these folders are under Program Files instead of Program Files(x86). For some reason both the VST2 64-bit and the VST3 64-bit are being installed for these two instruments. I hope others will chime in… otherwise it will bug me not to know!

Hmm… Now you have got me wondering because for me (Mac) its in one location.

You are right; lets hope someone chimes in with the correct answer.

Steve???
{‘-’}

I’ll hazard a guess.

The features list mentions both VST3 and VST2 compatibility. I’m sure this is how they accomplish it.

And thank God! Most other hosts don’t support VST3, and this lets me use Retrologue in other hosts like Brainspawn Forte, Ableton, etc., etc…

thx jwatilo…
btw, i think the only other hosts that dont support vst3 YET are PTools, Ableton Live and Reaper. I only use Cubase so its not a problem for me…