Why can't a meno mosso have a metronome mark?

I’m wondering why Dorico doesn’t let me indicate a metronome mark with a meno mosso (or più mosso). To me, the words “meno mosso” seem too relative. They imply a slow down of the tempo but not how much. I have the habit of specifying the new tempo with a metronome mark in parentheses next to the text but Dorico doesn’t let me do that. Is there any musical reason why a meno mosso shouldn’t be accompanied by a metronome mark or is just that Dorico can’t do that at this moment?

Of course, I can simply put a metronome mark next to the meno mosso and adjust the position of both in Engrave mode but knowing how the program works, it doesn’t look like the logical solution. Or is there a way to achieve this?

Antonio

Personally, I think this could be relaxed, but, in the mean time, you can do it the other way around: input the metronome mark in the popover and add the text via the Properties panel.

Oh!!! It never occurred to me I could do it that way. Works like a charm!

Thank you so much!!!

Antonio

We do plan to make it possible for those relative tempo changes to show a metronome mark in future, for what it’s worth, but I can’t say when this will be.

Bug report: meno mosso actually speeds up the metronome instead of slowing it down…

Yes, we are aware of that and it is on our list of things to fix in due course.

As of Dorico 3.1.10 (may 2020) “meno mosso” still speeds up the metronome…

Welcome to the forum, kjartannorway. Yes, in common with any reported and acknowledged bug that has not yet been fixed, it remains on our list of things to fix in due course. I’m sorry for the inconvenience caused in the meantime.

kjartannorway,

You can always create a tempo mark called “meno” and set its mm marking in the properties panel, and you can make “meno mosso” its Abbreviation or append “mosso” as system text after it to achieve a slower tempo.