Why condensing is different for different instruments?

Any ideas why Dorico is condensing the clarinets as upper/lower stems and oboes as ‘a2’ for the exact same music? Later the clarinets are getting a2 - which is what I would like to see.

Well, there must be something different between the two, even if you don’t see it… because that’s how it works (I actually use this as a proof-reading tool!)
Dorico considers a musical phrase as all the notes between rests, and in this excerpt, I see no rests… so it’s a kind of long musical phrase. Each musical phrase gets its own condensing settings but you can override this using a condensing change. I mean, this is the fast way to go if you just want to correct this without looking for the tiny difference between the two…
Are there any dynamics? a tiny change of length in a gradual dynamic is enough to cause such thing.

1 Like

Great! thanks - something must’ve been different - I recopied clarinet 2 from 1 in this section and it’s now a2

1 Like

I guess it was the (barely visible) forte in the 2nd clarinet, but we may never know :upside_down_face:

1 Like

If both clarinets become forte at that point, both must show forte, best checked in Galley View.

1 Like