Why Cubase 10 looks like ableton why!!!!

I am definitely enjoying the new GUI.

I like the colors option the best but I was able to make version 9 dark too in the preferences. I’m also not a big fan of the flat style but they changed it so that it resizes up to 4k or whatever, the old one didn’t resize. It looks much better than Ableton. It seems all DAWs are going flat these days, Logic, Ableton has always looked flat, even Windows 10 is flat. Like people are saying, it’s in the IN thing. That doesn’t mean we have to like it but I also think people will like it. I am just hoping that one day Cubase goes Muti-Touch and the flat style will make perfect sense. Just looking at it I want to press everything with my finger now lol. I’m going to put a tablet running Liine Lemur in the studio and it will match nicely with the style of the new Cubase. Then I will probably like the look of it.

I’m currently on Nuendo 8.3 and am considering a move to Cubase because of quicker feature updates. The new features look really good. But…

Cubase 10 looks UGGs to me! The whole flat/minimalist look has all the elegance of a brick. Do people who love the look also have flat, one dimensional and featureless studios? I’m thinking the answer would be “Yes”.
Happy Cubase 10 user.jpg

Yes, Windows 10 is flat, but I do nothing in Windows but web browsing, I don’t have to make any adjustments with buttons and knobs etc. and frankly saying 9.5 is flat enough. And actually I don’t get how flat style makes sense with Multi-Touch in other words why less flatness doesn’t fit Multi-Touch?

Well if you look at Liine Lemur and most DAW control apps they are flat but they are also very small and on small screens like iPads. So if you had Cubase running on a touchscreen laptop, it would imagine it would be easier to click on everything if they were in high contrast and flat. It’s more of the high contrast than the flatness. Unlike when you use the mouse, your hand is in the way of the screen all the time so having things high contrast makes it easier to see objects that are partially obstructed by your fingers and the easiest way to make things high contrast to each other is to make them flat.

I don’t mind the flat buttons really - for where they make sense. Check this out:

This is conceptually perfect. A mix between flatness and depth and most importantly: exactly where it matters.

What turns me off is in Cubase is the 90s-design VST Rack as well as the bloody 3D look of the audio itself, that silly gradient on the clips. The way it looks now is probably 5-6 different GUIs in one. It’s still very hard to give it a unified, monochrome look. Sigh.

An instead of making Cubase more pen compatible, they keep making certain things smaller. Great, but where’s the benefit to that? Apparently they haven’t quite noticed how cheap and large displays became ever since 20 years ago, the very era still visible in vital parts of C10.

An absolute disaster however is the colour system when it comes to automation curves, selections, clip manipulators and so forth. But that’s gonna stay one for a while I fear…

Thank you. Sounds quite reasonable.
Well if the future of Cubase GUI is newspaper from 1930th I’ll stay with 9.5 forever despite all the brilliant features that will be introduced later.
You can call me insane but I really can’t work with GUI’s like Ableton or StudioOne, I feel depressed. I like pretty much all those plug-ins which emulate hardware compressors, EQ’s or just imitate hardware look because they look familiar from the first sight.

it doesnt look like ableton at all.
even thou Ableton Live looks AWESOME!!

too much make-up kills the make-up

I like the new look,(well I am easily pleased,ha,ha) :laughing:

But noticed there are 4 default colour presets,in Cubase 9.5 you had a lot more.I think overall the look is crisp.Trying out the black theme,its certainly easier to read text and data,personally
I haven’t got into the customizing,but had noticed my custom presets,from 9.5 don’t work in Cubase 10,not a problem,as I am only tweaking two things

But worth a mention,as I bet there are a lot of people out there with a lot more customized colour schemes,some might be pretty radical too :smiley:

It is no Ableton! The new cubase Interface is terrible!

+100500

[Removed]

Opinions about DAW GUI’S : all so highly subjective, there will never be a DAW GUI that suits all.
Imho, i really like the new “flatter” GUI of C10 ; way less busy and screamy to my eyes than previous Cubase GUI’s

Sidenote: I wonder if this flatter GUI design puts less strain on GPU /CPU than previous GUI :wink:

Using a Dell external monitor via Displayport attached to macbook pro retina 2015, medium scaling is used in OSX Display Prefs.
Warm Regards.

A cynic might say - “So that it looks like more of an “upgrade” than it actually is.”

That, or the folks in the GUI design department need to justify their existence.

Except for the coloured track headers I think it’s perfect!

I like the new look. Only place I don’t like the colours, is the export window. It should be inverted - bright background, dark text.

Other than that, I like the look, the darker flatter tone makes the audio events stand out more and easier to look at… less things in the program are pulling at my eyes.

First of all I like how Ableton Live Looks so I’m probably biased. I’ve used Cubase since VST 5 days and over the years slowly drifted away from it.

I came back to it with V 9.5 (from 8) and I thought the GUI was a horrible hodgepodge mess with graphics from SX era up to now. It honestly made me regret upgrading because it felt so visually all over the place that it was like working in some incomplete amateur program just slapped together (regardless of its superior features).

Luckily I fell one day inside of the free upgrade to v10. Its much much better IMO. The GUI is starting to have much more cohesiveness and it feels more like the professional program it is.

Flat vector graphics are so much better to me simply due to the fact that they can be scaled and allow for better contrast. I still have very good eye sight and non-vector graphics on retina or 4K displays looks very blurry to me. It messes with my eyes like I can’t focus because the graphics are inherently blurry. Maybe people who already have blurry vision don’t notice or care but it strains my eagle eyes and gives me a headache.

My only gripe is that they haven’t updated 100% of the program to the new flat graphics. When I saw that v10 was mostly graphic and GUI updates I was giving thanks to the Steinberg overlords above who heard my prayers and allowed me to continue our almost 20 year relationship. I just hope they update “ALL” of the program to match.

If cubase looked like ableton I wouldn’t use it. I’m pretty sure it’s a powerful daw

It looks 1000000 x better than Ableton but must be honest the workflow is not as fast as Ableton