Why Cubase Pro thinks I'm recording my guitar tracks in surround sound

I’ve moved this post to my music making blog at

Sorry to say that, this is simply wrong…
Stereo means not two channels, it means spatial and surround is an enhanced stereo (more spatial) signal.

1 Like

Some great tips in there :+1: A really nice way to approach multi channel audio from the same source.

The audiowarp/editing options this gives you is very useful. As you say, the technique would work with other setups, a minimally mic’ed drum kit springs to mind.

It’s often very handy to have all those options at mixdown.

@st10ss is correct (more or less :slight_smile: - the reality is more nuanced…IMO) but as you point out it’s not surround…it’s just cubase that ‘thinks’ it is :smiley:

I always love different ways to ‘misuse’ the system to get better results - feels like ‘proper’ engineering.

1 Like

Agreed - I didn’t characterize it nuanced enough, differentiating between the definition of “stereo” vs the technical implementation of 2 channel audio. And by extension the same for various implementations of surround sound as multi-channel audio.

2 Likes

@st10ss @Dr.Strangelove
Would it be more accurate to phrase it like this?

Because surround sound tracks are implemented in Cubase Pro effectively as a grouping of 4 or more mono channels, just like stereo tracks are effectively implemented as a grouping of 2 mono channels, I use Cubase Pro surround sound tracks (5 channels) to always record 3 audio signals (1 mono and 2 stereo) from the above electric guitar signal chain:

that definition is more accurate - but I think it was fine as it was :+1:

There are so many nuances as to what surround sound is- depending on context so it’s not worth trying to pin it down when describing a very useful multichannel technique. Even the words mono and stereo can be problematic…

1 Like

you can call it multichannel audio… maybe?

which part of the text?