Why Cubase Pro thinks I'm recording my guitar tracks in surround sound

I’ve moved this post to my music making blog at
https://www.emxr.com/music-making/software/daws/cubase/recording-my-guitar-tracks-in-surround-sound/

Sorry to say that, this is simply wrong…
Stereo means not two channels, it means spatial and surround is an enhanced stereo (more spatial) signal.

1 Like

Some great tips in there :+1: A really nice way to approach multi channel audio from the same source.

The audiowarp/editing options this gives you is very useful. As you say, the technique would work with other setups, a minimally mic’ed drum kit springs to mind.

It’s often very handy to have all those options at mixdown.

@st10ss is correct (more or less :slight_smile: - the reality is more nuanced…IMO) but as you point out it’s not surround…it’s just cubase that ‘thinks’ it is :smiley:

I always love different ways to ‘misuse’ the system to get better results - feels like ‘proper’ engineering.

1 Like

Agreed - I didn’t characterize it nuanced enough, differentiating between the definition of “stereo” vs the technical implementation of 2 channel audio. And by extension the same for various implementations of surround sound as multi-channel audio.

2 Likes

@st10ss @Dr.Strangelove
Would it be more accurate to phrase it like this?

Because surround sound tracks are implemented in Cubase Pro effectively as a grouping of 4 or more mono channels, just like stereo tracks are effectively implemented as a grouping of 2 mono channels, I use Cubase Pro surround sound tracks (5 channels) to always record 3 audio signals (1 mono and 2 stereo) from the above electric guitar signal chain:

that definition is more accurate - but I think it was fine as it was :+1:

There are so many nuances as to what surround sound is- depending on context so it’s not worth trying to pin it down when describing a very useful multichannel technique. Even the words mono and stereo can be problematic…

1 Like

you can call it multichannel audio… maybe?

which part of the text?