Why do I have purple notes?

Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 1.42.54 PM
And how can I get rid of them?
I am using Dorico Elements 3.5

1 Like

Is it a guitar score?
If so, they cannot be physically played with standard tuning.

1 Like

In that case, Andy, wouldn’t it be more likely the A’s were purple?

Guitarist here. Can confirm this is not playable.

We do not see the key but if it is Cmaj or Am, the first Am chord in the score above would also need an additional very long left hand finger to play the A on the 6th string (or you have to eave the low C out) and there is no purple note there. The second could be an F chord but it is indeed not possible to play both the low A and C. In the third Cmaj chord you would not be able to play one of the two E notes depend on the position you use or you have to leave the high G out. Maybe a different instrument.

The last C major chord is playable on the guitar in standard tuning, but it is very painful to do so…
I would prefer that Dorico not tell me what is or isn’t playable - that should be on me. Nonetheless, it’s just a color, so no real harm done.

I think you can Hide them

Indeed, you could use the high e on the first open string. Then G on the second string 4th finger, C and G with half bar 1st finger on the 5th fret on 3/4th string and the other E and C on the 6th and 7th. But it is tricky to make the high e still sound and not to think of moving from the F chord on first position to this C chord on the 5th position if it would be a fast flamenco type rhythm :laughing.

I would just leave the high e out and put it in 1st position. Do you leave the high first string F or E if it is flamenco out on purpose in the second chord?

Edd - Thanks. As I said, it’s not a big deal. But always good to know that Dorico has a way of letting us opt out!