Why Does Cubase Hide Volume Automation Points Behind The Above Track?? (Or can someone tell me what I am doing wrong)

Sorry, excuse capitals…I don’t use a hell of a lot of automation, rather haven’t until now, and I am probably making a schoolboy error but if someone could correct me…in the included picture I am trying to gradually slide a volume from -4.22 to -1.96, but it won’t let me draw the line in between.
AUT.JPG
Problem only seems to be with volume (fader), help appreciated…

Now it is OK and has let me do it…Be grateful if anyone can tell me what I was doing wrong…very strange…but I have a cold and have had a long day:-(
aut 2.JPG

Probably wasn’t very clear in my first post…as I said, got quite bad manflu…

Anyway, my point was, for drawing volume automation, the highest volume I can draw to (visibly) is -7.65, - please see photo…

I must be doing something wrong. Would very much appreciate if someone could point out a setting I have wrong or something…

Many thanks.

you can click to “select” any of the little square pivot points and then delete them - will cause the dip between to become a straight continuous line - if that will help

In your last jpeg there’s a little square box, which goes away when you use the pencil tool, (which lets you draw automation more freely), so I’m guessing that’s it.

Now, for the man-flu, may I suggest hydration and rest :slight_smile:

In your last jpeg there’s a little square box, which goes away when you use the pencil tool, (which lets you draw automation more freely), so I’m guessing that’s it.

Which one…? There are loads… :confused: :confused: Anyway… I went in with a pencil and drew this (this isn’t the automation I want, I am just trying to figure how it works) and it is still only giving me -7.65 at the highest point…no matter how much I expand the height of the track, surely I should be able to go to +6??

When I try pushing the fader whist in W mode, it does this…

But I can’t work out how to make the lower line (holding the blue area from which cubase reads the volume level from) go up to +6 with the pencil tool, or the line tool which I first tried…nor basically work out why there are two lines…

Basically I would like to draw the whole volume range with either line or pencil…but it won’t let me.

If I do the same (theoretical) exersize on my master VCA, it lets me do it, no problem

Obviously I am doing something wrong…

Now, for the man-flu, may I suggest hydration and rest

Thank you, kindly…though being off sick does give me some cubase time, though banging my head against the wal for this is NOT helping!!!

Hi,

your Master VCA might be the reason why you cant’t go beyond -7.65.
Cubase seems to display recalculated Values.
The VCA is likely well below 0db at this point, given your MixConsolte setting is +12db max, and your Master VCA is at -19.65db, the highest Value you will see would be -7.65 in the slave Channel. (No other VCA’s involved).

Hope it helps.
Cheers,
Dirx

your Master VCA might be the reason why you cant’t go beyond -7.65

Yep. Tried on a different project, seems the bottom line can only match the top one if the VCA fader is on 0.

Thanks for clearing that up, was going mental!!!

Only actually have a VCA applied out of habit, just causes more hassle then!!!

Thanks again.