Why does Dorico default to page 1 after an edit?

So I’m editing a part in flow 2 (2cd movement) and when I want to go back to the full score it takes me to the beginning of flow 1 even though I have highlighted the section in the 2cd flow that I’m working on. Is there a way to prevent this?

1 Like

Are you switching between the part layout and the full score layout by way of Window > Counterpart Layout (shortcut W)? If not, give that a try.

I’ve found that if I select a note in Galley View showing Full Score, but then switch to eg Violin, the score goes back to the beginning. But, if I then press P the score will jump to my previously selected note and start playing - which is fine but maybe slightly odd behaviour.

Thanks for the replies. I use the Full Score drop down menu at the top and select oboe solo then back to full score. If I hit W it just takes me back to the beginning of flow 1.
P will work but I have to have something selected.

If you’ve just been editing then that would be the case wouldn’t it?

Not necessarily. I deselect because I have had some unintentional edits when jumping around between parts and scores.

I see, in which case it would be nice if the Dorico devs could smooth out this behaviour.

This is interesting. What kind of thing is happening by accident? This is the kind of mistake Dorico’s modes are designed to help prevent.

Just to chime in on this: I also always deselect after any edit.
Too many mistakes (not only in Dorico, also in every piece of other software) can happen if you have something selected (worst case: it’s not even currently visible on the screen) and do $something.

True enough. But the idea with W is that it keeps your selection in view.

I’d really like to examine all the kinds of mistakes that can occur in this scenario.

Well, the posibilities are quite endless: Just think of pressing the wrong key on your keyboard. 0 instead of P (for play), and you get different note lengths. (With insert mode on it’s even much more fun…) Or move your finger to the other side and the selection might get some articulations added.
It gets even more tricky when you have multiple monitors and forget which one has the input focus.

My rule is: Never have anything selected if you’re not working on it RIGHT NOW. Touching any key might mess with it. This has been burnt into my brain by each and every software, and I’m pretty sure about not changing this for the rest of my live. (I guess you wouldn’t keep a sentence in a text editor selected for too long, as touching literally any key will wipe it out, right?)
There are some behaviours that people have learnt. Another example: I will save after each and every major edit. I have learnt from the past that software can die and all unsaved changes be lost. This behaviour will not change ever, but the fact that saving takes so much time and Dorico freezes during saving frustrates me. Nevertheless, I’ll keep saving :wink:

If you hit Escape to leave note input mode (but leaving the note selected), there are relatively few single keys you can press that will alter the existing notes.

Off the top of my head, it’s just the number keys (durations), punctuation (articulations and augmentation dot), M/N (cross-staff down/up), O (Force duration, though this will only make an immediate change if the duration was previously forced), T (tie), U (untie).

This is much fewer than in Sibelius, for instance, by design.

After playing around with this for a bit I found pianoleo’s suggestion to be the solution, so thanks.