Why does phil collins old stuff sound so good?

Listen on spotify! It is so clean and dense(analog tape). It sounds so much better than any recording I have ever heard. Son of man! and you´ll be in my heart. They are from 99, But sounds so much better than any song released. Son of man has a bouncy clean analog sound to it. It´s awsome

uhh… phil collins old stuff? Old stuff would be like Face Value in 1981. Or Trespass from 1970.

2nd, those were tunes recorded on massive budgets for soundtracks. Those guys know what they are doing. However, they actually don’t sound that great on a good full frequency range stereo. It will sound good on headphones or on PC speakers or in a theatre because the dynamic range is “friendly” for that.

Phil Collins

Great drummer :smiling_imp:

Nope, that was John Mayhew! :imp:

:laughing:

I know they swapped out between Trespass and Nursery Cryme, but I thought Phil ended up on most of the Trespass album. I know he was on the live bootleg stuff. Anyhow, I take it back and will substitute Nursery Cryme 1971. Still just a tad older than 1999 movie soundtracks :laughing:

You could invest in a UAD2 card and buy their plugins. I would expect something like Studer multitrack tape, SSL channel strip, Lexicon reverb, and Ampex mastering tape plugins would be close to what he used. You’d also need some top quality mics, preamps, A/D converters and ears too. Ah, shouldn’t forget the musicians, the instruments and the music!

Mike.

…and this post relates to Cubase 6 how?

Because Peter Gabriel’s nephew’s good friend uses Cubase 6…and we all know that Peter Gabriel used to be a part of Genesis…which Phil Collins was a part of. Understand now?

Oh! :confused: And I thought it was some still to be announced dubious drum library product to be launched at NAMM or in Frankfurt, since Phil Collins used to drum for Brand X :smiley:

Old stuff? 1999? that’s about 30 years into his career! I must say though that love him or hate him, Phil’s stuff was generally pretty well put together.

I remember that Face Value sounded startlingly new and unique production -wise at the time it was released, and not just for “that” drum sound. Haven’t heard it for years now so don’t know how it’s stood up though.

Anyway, back to C6 before this gets moved to the lounge…
Seeing as we’re rooted in the 70s in this thread, why is there no Chris Squire’s Rick preset for VST Amp Rack?

I remember when I first heard “In The Air Tonight”, I pictured this tough macho-looking guy and to my dismay he ended up being a short stalky balding guy…with one bad-ass voice, though! :slight_smile:

I was thinking about Chris Squire’s rick bass sound on early Yes tracks - It was revolutionary at the time (and much copied since) but if you listen on a good system, it’s really a pretty horrible sound - thin and twangy - but you gotta say it works really well… lesson in there somewhere…

Context is everything! :sunglasses:

Wow! Never thought about it. Having listened Face Value only through mediocre systems before I always thought it sounded great. Now put it on my Genelecs … ouch!

Speaks volumes for the thought that went into knowing what it would be played through by the end-listener (at that time).

Sounds so good like a Van Gogh looks so good. If old Vincent Van had done it all by sticking bits together in a computer the same brain would have produced something of similar quality.
However paint is only paint and a computer is only a computer. The artist is what makes it sound / look good.
Flour and water can be glue or a cake. Depends if you’re hungry or just want to put up wallpaper. :mrgreen:

I was actually referring to the two tracks from Tarzan tracks. They are brilliantly mastered/produced. But, they aren’t that great for stereo playback on a good system.

But, Face Value was one of the first 80’s sounding productions that I remember. Extremely band limited. Although not compressed for loudness, compression was used on every instrument to produce that washed squelchy sound that dominated pretty much every genre in the 80’s. Even bands like Rush succumbed to it, for example on Power Windows around 1985(?). A truly terrible sounding record with some really great songs, as was Face Value. (my opinion of course).

I don’t know if you can attribute any of it to targeting the blooming Walkman generation. But, the 80’s certainly changed the dynamic content of the vast majority of commercial releases dramatically.

I think that Rush stopped being so squished starting with…oh, I’d guess, Couterparts. Vapor Trails, for sure, isn’t overly compressed though I bet there is a limiter being used on Neil’s opening sequence for One Little Victory. :laughing:

And still the meaningless ramblings about NOTHING Cubase continues…

Evidently you aren’t cool enough to get the decoder ring yet. This entire thread has been about nothing but the gory details of how Cubase works. But, we have to keep it encrypted so the unwashed masses don’t learn the real secrets.

Phil uses Cubase

There’s a link to a clip on cubase.net somewhere…

After Trick of the Tail, Phil was no more, at least to me. :open_mouth: