Why does the HOLD dial on Cubase's built-in Expander work like that?

When using the built-in Expander, turning up HOLD (or leaving it at 10, which is default) sets how long the audio is attenuated after going below the threshold - not how long it stays open, like the Gate does.

I was almost thinking this was a bug, until I read the manual and find it’s doing as advertised. It just doesn’t make any sense to me and is opposite to any other expanders I’ve used.

Does this fit with how you use the Expander? If so, how are you using it? Would love to understand its use better.

I know what you mean.

The expander work in a kind of opposite way, IIRC attack and release parameters kick in also in strange places i.e. swapped.
I remember I reported about this to Steinberg a long time ago when they first implemented the algorithm and was told it is as designed but no one could explain why it is designed this way.

Yeah, given what the Hold dial does I guess it makes sense to have them swapped. The leftmost knob is called Fall, then Hold, then Rise. So that’s Release, Hold, Attack that they’ve changed the names of to signal they don’t function as ‘expected’.