Why is default short player name seemingly unrelated?

Dorico was displaying the short name for Clarinet as “V.” Why?

I’m in my very first project in Dorico 4. I’ve literally never visited the Rename Player command until now, while trying to figure this out. I finally found the command to change it, but my question is: Why would Dorico select “V.” as the short name for “Clarinet in Bb” in the first place? In an application that’s already confusing to get to know, why would an unrelated abbreviation be the default? What is the thinking here?

(In the same project, the short version of Piano is “Pno.” That makes sense. “V.” as an abbreviation for Clarinet doesn’t.)

FWIW, this is not the default abbreviation :rofl:
My guess is you’ve changed it somehow, by mistake…
In the Edit names window, isn’t there a Restore default settings button?

1 Like

Again, I’ve never been to this window before. This is my very first project in the app, and I’ve never used a clarinet in a Dorico score before. :man_shrugging:t5: But thanks.

This non default name could have come from a change in the Edit Name dialog for the instrument rather than the Rename Player dialog,

As Marc says, this is NOT normal. Something went wrong. First thing to try is delete the userlibrary.xml file. Located at…
Windows: %AppData%\Steinberg\Dorico 4
Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico 4/

If it’s still wrong, then the install must have gone wrong.

The only instrument with that short name is Voice. Is this an XML import, or did you start with a Voice?

Thank you.

Neither. Thanks.