Why is the input transformer needed?

If I have multiple midi channels coming from a single source, for example, a Beatstep Pro or Reason rack plugin, It is not enough for Cubase for me just to set the midi channels, I have to use the input transformer to filter out all the channels I don’t want. It seems strange as surely if you wanted all channels coming through then you would select omni as the input source.

Trying out Cakewalk, it behaves as I would expect, only receiving midi from the selected channel. What is the Cubase rationale for this convoluted approach?

Because that is an output setting, not an input setting.

So why then, when I set the INPUT setting to the desired channel does it still receive all channels at once until I filter it in the transformer?

Where do you set the INPUT to a desired channel? The INPUT is set in the input transformer. The channel number in the inspector (if that´s what you are talking about?) is an output setting.

There is a little box with an arrow pointing in to it. You can select All midi inputs or you can select the device you want to recieve midi from. If you have a single source outputting multiple channels you can choose the seperate channels in this menu. This to me would suggest I didn’t want All midi inputs but just the one I selected. However it receives data on all channels. The input transformer does not select a midi input, it FILTERS stuff out.

What is the use case for selecting a specific input and receiving from all inputs regardless?

This is for MIDI ports not the channels

Where can you do that? In the channel field below the input and output port fileds? Still and again - this is an output selection, not an input selection!

The input transformer treats incoming Data, the can be filtering, but also something else
output.png

I’m not talking about the output channel, I’m aware of that. But midi ports OK. So why does a single source show up with multiple ports if selecting one doesn’t single it out?

Ignorance is strengths, isn’t it?
There IS NO single source showing up with multiple ports or multiple channels on the input side. There is only an output that points to an OUTPUT port where you can select channels to be sent to.
That’s just it.

What are you talking about? Of course I am ignorant, I’m asking questions to become less ignorant.

Here is the situation: Reason Rack Plug in has two midi sequencer devices connected to midi out devices. Outputting on seperate midi channels.

Cubase track inspector has a list where you can select where the track is getting its midi data from. In this list, there are two seperate entries for the devices in the Reason plugin.

No matter which one you select, midi data will come in from both.

The input transformer can be used to filter out the midi from the unwanted device by specifying the channel.

I am ignorant as to why you can select one thing from a list of things but you have to take a further step to then make that selection exclusive. I just want to know why. For me it is an inconvenience. Is there a situation that this would be an actual benefit?

Then that´s probably a setting in that Reason Rack plugin, that sends MIDI to both ports. The MIDI input ports usually do not have to do anything with the MIDI transmission channel.

Cubase treats the three channels of the Beatstep Pro in the same fashion.

As a comparison, Cakewalk does not have a midi transformer and treats both reason and bsp on a per channel basis with no cross contamination of data

For some reason Cubase doesn’t let you pick a MIDI channel for it’s track input - only port. So that’s why the input transformer exists. Yes, it’s more of a pain than just having a pulldown box for ‘any’ or channel ‘1,2,3 etc…’ but at least it’s there (Logic you can’t even do this!).

And, it does a vast number of other operations too. (such as remapping for E Drums etc.)

There’s also two types of transformer, global and local. And you don’t have to use them as a MIDI insert, you can use the controls at the top of the track info. That’s my preference and i use global mode as it applies to all tracks with it enabled.

There’s also presets which will pass only the channel you require, so you don’t have to work backwards and disable those you don’t - if that makes sense.

But yes i 100% agree it’s very convoluted if you only want to select a specific MIDI channel. In my case i use a Maschine controller set to MCU mode (Channel 1) and the pads are on Channel 2 - i only want the Pads to come in to Cubase sequencer. Yet i have to jump through hoops setting the Maschine controller as to NOT come through on ‘ALL MIDI’ channels, and run the transformer to only allow channel 2.

I think it’s because older DAWs that were built around external MIDI devices would have one keyboard mapping direct to another, so only the output channel seemed to be a requirement for selection, as if you were using Omni mode you would use the master keyboard to define the channels it sends on - things have changed though.

Not sure if you’re aware but it’s also possible to record multiple MIDI Channels on one track and explode it to other tracks after recording, but this doesn’t work for me - and neither would it for you, i suspect. As i want to receive to each track live.

Is cakewalk better or as good as GarageBand? I used to have a Mac and I miss that app.