Why is there no audio output from only WaveLab 7.2.1 and Cubase 6.5.5 but everything else works fine?

I am using a 2008 Mac Pro, running on MacOS 10.13.6 (“High Sierra”), which is connected via USB to a Focusrite Scarlett 18i30 (third generation) audio interface. I used to use a PC, but changed to a Mac earlier this year. For a while, I worked in another DAW, but needed to be able to use Cubase and WaveLab again (I have Cubase 6.5.5 and WaveLab 7.2.1), so I re-installed them. Upon reinstallation, Cubase did function, but WaveLab would only come up, and allow me to load a file, but as soon as I hit “Play”, I would get this little round icon that looks like the “radiation hazard” symbol, and then a messagebox would pop up saying, “Audio streaming configuration incorrect. Reset in Options/Audio Streaming Settings”. The cursor would not move, and no matter what I’ve tried, I can’t get it to play with my Focusrite Scarlett interface (default for my system). Now Cubase doesn’t output any audio to Stereo Out as well.

I have tried reloading both apps, getting the latest Focusrite Control version, updating the firmware in my interface, updating my eLicenser, and making an Aggregate Device in the Mac’s MIDI Audio Settings applet. When I set this in WaveLab, it did play audio, but the sound was rough and distorted. That’s where I have left things for now, till I can get it straightened out.

Curiously, every other audio app and DAW works perfectly, but those two don’t. That’s all that’s wrong.

I certainly appreciate any suggestions to get my system working properly.

“Audio streaming configuration incorrect. Reset in Options/Audio Streaming Settings”

that could be a hint…

Is your audio configuration correct?

To the best of my understanding, I have it set right. My audio interface actually works at 24-bit/96kHz, but I have never recorded in anything more than 16-bit/44.1 kHz, so I’ve tried setting both of those, but neither works. I also wonder if it’s anything to do with installing the 64 or 32-bit version of these apps.

The thought also occurred to me that there might be a piece of rogue code (old driver, etc.) in the Mac that’s causing trouble. I have to check that out.

Finally, I figured that these versions may just be too old, but I think other people are successfully using these and even older ones, so maybe there is hope for me yet!

I’m getting closer, but still haven’t got everything perfectly set up yet. Here’s what I know so far:

I found out that the Yamaha MX-series keyboards (I’ve got an MX88) want to be your audio interface, as well as your DAW’s controller keyboard. You connect the MX to your PC or Mac via a USB cable, plug a TSR cable into the MX’s Line Out Left and Right jacks, and then plug the other ends of those cables into your studio’s monitor amp or powered speakers. All audio from your DAW will go through the MX, and you control the output level with its master volume knob. If you’ve set up the MX to work with Cubase, you download and install the Yamaha-Steinberg USB driver. The keyboard is then effectively “paired” with your computer and Cubase, and communication between them works well. If you want to record tracks using MIDI and virtual instruments, this arrangement is fine.

Here’s where the system breaks down: you can’t input audio via microphones to the DAW via the MX keyboard’s “interface”. You will need an actual audio interface (mine is a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20) to do that. I am not able to get my computer to recognize my Focusrite interface because the MX hogs the computer and doesn’t let any audio in. I can see signal going in from microphones on the Scarlett’s front panel, but it goes no further.

That’s where I am not sure how to proceed. Any suggestions?

What does the Focusrite control app?

Are you selecting the aggregate device in Wavelab and selecting the Yamaha only for output and Focusrite only for input, in the aggregate and in Wavelab? Maybe if you took some screenshots of the Audio Midi Setup Aggregate device and screenshots of the Wavelab audio output and input.

Here’s my progress to date: I have output (through the Yamaha USB ASIO driver), but no matter what I try, I just can’t get audio into those two apps (even though it does go into others). Perhaps the versions I have are too old, or my Mac is too old. Maybe the problem is the Focusrite interface, so maybe I’ll see if I can get hold of one of another brand and try that.

Strangely, too, I notice that WaveLab doesn’t start oroperly. When I click it, the splash screen flashes, then the popup “WaveLab quit unexpectedly; send report, ignore, reopen” comes up. The program starts when I click “reopen”, but never opens on the first try.

That’s as far as I can go.

If the Yamaha insists on being Output in your setup, and the Yamaha won’t accept audio input, and you want to use the Focusrite for audio input, you need to create an Aggregate Device in the Mac Audio midi setup panel and set the Yamaha for Output, and Focusrite for Input. Then select the Aggregate Device (not the Yamaha ASIO) in Wavelab. Then set the Yamaha outputs in Wavelab, and the Focusrite inputs in Wavelab. Screenshots of your setup would still be helpful.

Aggregate Device on Mac and ASIO4ALL on Windows are the only possible way to use two interfaces at the same time in Wavelab (using the input of one, and the output of the other) afaik.