Why Mp3 Encoder?

I just used up my license. I’d like to upgrade to get the license just for convenience of having it in Cubase. However, I’m not giving Steinberg my money before they improve on the mp3-tag handling on export. They’re using an old standard, and worst offender is the genre field which just a list randomly filled with useless genres with no option for custom genres.

Just thought I’d make that point :slight_smile:

Thanks for reviving this. I deleted Lame cause it’s a pain. Not worth it. It sucks but I’m using WMA files until I feel like upgrading to the MP3 encoder.

Lame’s always been a piece of cake for me… I use with a number of other tools. (I have C6, so don’t need it within the DAW) Mp3Tag.exe is what I use for tagging or re-tagging, its free.

I use mp3tag as well, but nothing’s wrong with putting a bit of pressure on Steinberg to improve things :slight_smile:
It is a bit odd if one has to pay €15,- for an mp3 license if you then still have to use 3rd party software to get the tags done.

Did you know Lame has been upgraded? I was using 3.98.2 for ages and at 128k I was getting all those horrible warbles you get on MySpace and other sites. I eventually decided to check and there was a new version 3.99.3 - I couldn’t hear much of a difference between that and the Fh export from Cubase.

Got it from here: http://lame1.buanzo.com.ar/#lamewindl

That was on an acoustic guitar track. Not got round to trying it on others yet but would be interested to hear if it works for you too.

This is the relevant post from an earlier discussion: [ans?] MySpace (& Soundcloud, etc, etc...) quality check - #37 by Crotchety - Steinberg Lounge - Steinberg Forums

This is one area where I like what Sonar does. They provide the ability top add command line programs for post processing. So it is easy to add LAME or ogg-vorbis or whatever.

Ron