Why the Announcement of a MIDI Remote Controller API worries me

@ggmanestraki & @skijumptoes

Here is my present Generic Remote Definition for my MPD32, which has 8 endless knobs (actually 24, as these can be set differently in 3 ‘control banks’). The main aspects of it :

• It is set to be used with the second MIDI port of my Fireface UCX, so this probably will need to be adapted.
  • The endless knobs of my unit, when set as INC/DEC, are sending NRPN messages in accordance to the MIDI 1.0 specifications, in the following way :

Increment :
CC99 → NRPN MSB
CC98 → NRPN LSB
CC96 → Data Incr
CC99 → NRPN MSB
CC98 → NRPN LSB

Decrement :
CC99 → NRPN MSB
CC98 → NRPN LSB
CC97 → Data Decr
CC99 → NRPN MSB
CC98 → NRPN LSB

All the workaround consist of :

1. Setting an unique MIDI channel to an endless knob on your hardware remote device.
  2. Creating two lines in the GR definition, in both panes (one for increment messages, the other for decrement ones)
  3. Setting all the lines related to the endless knobs as ‘Controller’ in the Midi status column (upper pane)
  4. Choose the involved couple commands in the lower pane, such as ‘Nudge +1’ both ‘Nudge-1’.

As an example, and using Steinberg MIDI Monitor plug-in (which perfectly recognizes such messages, by the way, contrarily to the Generic Remote implementation… :roll_eyes:), here is what I get after recording both NRPN ‘incr’ and ‘decr’ message, using my sixth endless knob (MIDI channel 6) :

After this, it all depends to which extent the remote device is able to transmit standard NRPN messages. In my case, and as they are only 16 MIDI channels, I can only use two banks among the three that I have available.

Hope it will be useful, somehow, with a minimal adaptation…

MPD32_NRPNmanagement.xml (16.9 KB)