Why the extra silence at the end of all audio exports?

Why do all audio exports from Dorico have an extra 5-10 seconds of silence beyond where my measures end?
I have not found an option that deals with this.
Is there a preference somewhere that changes this?

It’s the reverb tail. There’s no way to change it at this point. Typically, I just import the audio file into audacity and trim it there. Takes only a few seconds.

A) Why would you trim the reverb tail :confused: ?

B) It is certainly not the reverb tail. One audio export has >40 seconds of silence at the end.

A) It’s not perceptible. It’s sort of a built-in buffer of time, if I recall. Certainly I don’t cut off any decay.

I’ve never met a reverb with a 40 second buffer.

That was B), which I didn’t answer because I don’t know why it would be 40 seconds. 10 seconds for me, often, but not 40.

If you have a project that produces an audio file with 40 seconds of silence at the end, you should zip up and attach that project here so we can take a look. I can only imagine that you have a large number of empty bars at the end of the flow you’re exporting.

Or a timecode marker perhaps

I don’t know if this particular problem is reverb tail or not. But there has been a request of Cubase to offer an automatic tail option, and the same suggestion should apply to Dorico.

The idea is simple, If the end of the audio file goes to (virtual) silence, end the file at that point rather than requiring the user to guess how long the reverb tail might be.

2 bars

Here is the audio and the Dorico file.

40 seconds of dead space, 2 bars of rests in the score.
The Nurse and Romeo D3 - The Nurse and Romeo.mp3.zip (772 KB)
The Nurse and Romeo D3.dorico.zip (670 KB)

The final “rit” takes the tempo down to quarter note = 16.

8 beats of rests at 16 BPM = 30 seconds of silence, plus the 10 Dorico allows for the reverb tail = 40.

You can see the 30 seconds of rests “playing” if you look at the green playback line crawling along.

Well that would certainly do it!