Why the trip outs?

Does Cubase really have to keep tripping out like that for everything or is there something I can do to stop it? You guys know what Im talking about… Adding plungins, deleting tracks, creating tracks, deleting plugins, etc. just keeps doing this annoying drop out thing I never understood why. I hope there’s something I can do to stop this.

I haven’t a clue what you are talking about.

Me neigther :confused:

Wrong choice of words? “Tripping out” makes no sense to me in this context.

Or maybe you are tripping out right now? :mrgreen:

Have seen Steinberg describe it as “normal”.

I can understand if I add a plugin with latency that the latency compensation is adjusted and causes a glitch but with plugs with no latency or adding tracks I don’t get why it happens.

Check out Reaper for example…I can add add tracks, add plugs remove tracks and remove plugs without any hint of a glitch.
I wonder if it’s something system specific as I would expect to see more complaints if everyone had this drop in the audio every time they do anything.

So you guys who don’t understand what he means…you add a track while playing back does your audio drop out or play on uninterrupted??

It plays on uninterrupted. But surely just stop play-back while you add a track …no biggie.

But surely just stop play-back while you add a track …no biggie.

Track adding not such a big issue but plug in adding and removing I’m doing A LOT and constant interruptions to the track is annoying…And if you’re working with musicians trying to judge the performance they just recorded you are unable to continue mixing during this playback time.

FWIW I tried all sorts of options of asio guard etc and have the same issue with multipe interfaces on my computer.

OK I can understand the frustration; I work quite busy little studio so working with different musicians all the time and I have never noticed this to be a problem (maybe my workflow is different from yours). I will test tomorrow when in the studio to see if I get these issues.
Also just to clarify, I honestly did not know what was meant by tripping out from the original poster.

Right here audio interrupts when…

• adding plugins that add latency
  • adding a new audio/instrument/group/fx-track
  • rerouting
  • using ‘move selected track to new folder’

It continues when…

• adding plugins without latency
  • adding midi tracks
  • manually moving tracks into a folder

I guess the interruption while adding tracks is connected to how Cubase works. Adding track means a kind of rerouting means short interruption and is no problem.
Why the ‘move to folder’ command interrupts audio makes not much sense to me (maybe there’s an unfinished “folder equals group” functionality prepared here…) - can easily live with it as it is.

Interruption for plugin latency compensation makes complete sense to me. Otherwise there can’t be sync, so…

… you couldn’t judge the performance anyway.

This is a little hearsay gossip maybe, but I think to remember I’ve read years ago that Live and Logic don’t seem to have this interruption behaviour but instead play out of sync untill the next stop/start. Should this be true (please correct me if I’m wrong) then it’s just another sort of ‘bad’, not sure which one I’d prefer if I had the choice :laughing:

This never happened to you guys… (download for best quality) Dropbox - Error - Simplify your life and as you can see having any chords playing an arpeggio is the worst. Everything gets all jumbled up to the point where I just have to hit stop and play again… If this is just happening to me then this is crazy. lol

No, that’s not just happening to you. That’s simply how Cubase handles it.

Maybe my workflow is different.
I can understand the need to keep the track playing when EQing or changing the settings of an effect. But I really can´t see that it´s a big deal to stop the track to add new tracks or plug-ins.
I´m quite old and come from the days of the restrictions of recording to tape and those awful ADATS and I wonder if you expect too much from your computer recording systems.
I still can´t get my head around how amazing and powerful a good Cubase system is.

I understand what you’re saying if it was just adding plugins, (because of delay compensation and all)… but having to stop playback to put tracks into folders, taking tracks out of folders, adding tracks, deleting tracks, even adding loops… C’mon, you have to ask yourself why. How come this powerful DAW does this when other way less powerful DAWs continue to play no matter what?

Interruption for plugin latency compensation makes complete sense to me. Otherwise there can’t be sync, so…

Grim wrote:
And if you’re working with musicians trying to judge the performance they just recorded you are unable to continue mixing during this playback time

… you couldn’t judge the performance anyway.

Clearly stated that the issue is with ALL plugs…if it interrupted playback only when adding plugs with latency it would also make sense to me but with zero latency plugs it doesn’t need to do it and in earlier incarnations on this same computer I’m sure I can remember it not doing it.
And as someone else has already confirmed that it plays without interruption for them when adding no latency plugs there is presumably a bug here that could be addressed.

I’m using the good old Line6 PodFarm which includes ‘elements’. If for example I insert a PodFarm Delay this works without interruption. There are a few others in my plugin collection that do open without a hiccup, just don’t know which. Use a lot of UAD where this is more than normal latencywise and because there’s an audiostream to and from the dsp cards.

It would be nice to have playback completely glitch free whilst adding plugs, tracks, whatever. Indeed Nuendo 1.x (pre Cubase SX) used to be able to do this.

But there was no automatic plugin latency compensation.

Cubase needs to reset the audio engine to keep everything in line, it’s hard to see how it could do this without a small interruption in the audio.

Edited to add, I don’t get a glitch when I add a MIDI tack, do you?

Cubase needs to reset the audio engine to keep everything in line, it’s hard to see how it could do this without a small interruption in the audio.

If you add a plug with zero latency then nothing is going to be out of line but it resets anyway (except some people are reporting that it doesn’t interrupt for zero latency plugs…in which case I would like to know why/how to make my system do this)

There is no real zero latency. Every plugin has a slight latency. Even if its just one sample. 1 Sample can allready alter the sound. Try this out. Take an audiotrack and duplicate it. Now move one of these for just one sample and play them back together. You will hear a significant difference
So in order to keep everything synced cubase has to re-compensate everytime you insert a plugin somewhere

So you’re saying that the people reporting that their audio continues playing without any dropout are lying?

And why does plugin manager report a delay of 0 samples for plugs if you say there is a delay of at least one sample?

Are we to believe that cubase with no plugins whatsoever runs with zero latency? No
Even after the reported latency setting of the aiso driver.
So once you realise that cubase always has some delay then 0 latency plugins become apparent.
They would merely have to be plugins that work within the programs inherent latency.

As to the small glitch when inserting various stuff, I have no idea :slight_smile:

Just tried it to verifiy my own claim - inserting a Line6 PodFarm Delay instance does not interrupt audio on my system. At least for me proof enough that it all depends on the plugin.