Will the old version work after update/upgrade

I have Cubase 6.5 installed on my old PC. I want to use Cubase 11 on my new PC. If I buy the update or upgrade, will 6.5 still work on my old PC, so I can occasionally work on old projects that require 32 but plugins, or do I have to update that to 11 as well?

It should work. You might need to update the eLicenser software on the old PC to recognize your 11 license. Your 11 license will allow you to run previous versions. Of course you would need to swap the dongle from one machine to the other as needed. Many people keep older versions installed for compatibility reasons such as you mention.

1 Like

I just want to reconfirm here: I have Cubase version 6.0.7 on a Windows 7 (64 bit) PC. And I tested Cubase 12 Pro on my Windows 11 PC. I just bought the license (using the amazing 40% off offer!!!), had to plug in the eLicenser USB stick to the Windows 11 computer and then activate the Cubase 12 Pro version using my Steinberg online account (login to your account at the steinberg website) and the Steinberg Activation Manager on my Win 11 PC. The eLicenser file on the USB stick was updated to the corresponding version, and the Cubase 12 version had to be activated in the Steinberg Activation Manager.
Then, I was of course very worried that my old version with my old projects will not run any more on my Windows 7 computer. So I plugged in the eLicenser into the USB, tested it and - it did not work, license not recognized. I tried to repair the eLicenser Control Center but it said the file is too old - I could also see that in the control center there is an extra license shown but it is not recognized. So I downloaded the new version from the eLicenser website, installed it, and it repaired the database in the background and recognized “Cubase Pro 11 (Upgraded to Cubase 12 with Steinberg Licensing)”. I started Cubase 6 - and it worked!

So I can run now Cubase 6 with the eLicenser USB stick on my Win 7 computer, just like before, and in parallel I can run Cubase 12 on my Win 11 computer. Everything perfect! Keep in mind that there is no guarantee that this approach will work with follow-up versions of Cubase 12+ in the future as this seems to be now a transition period from eLicenser to Steinberg Licensing. So better do the upgrade now, it is a bargain anyway until October 3 2022 :sunglasses: