Win 7, 8 End of life

Problem solved - if you’re not collaborating with people online, backing up remotely, or using online sample libraries or software that requires online access.

How do you deal with GAS mid-session too if you’re not online?! Lol

Well it’s been over four years since W10 came out…

I actually think that while that seems to make sense people end up making a few concessions that aren’t that great.

Like Skijump wrote online collaboration is pretty important these days, to a lot of people, and so it requires a connection at some point. In my case there’s no time to load files over to the ‘internet computer’ to upload, or vice versa, because my time is precious when I work. It may sound silly, but I really do sometimes work on extremely tight deadlines. Moving several GB of data over to a drive onto another computer is just another step I don’t want to take.

In addition to that one way to look at it is that it’s “neater” to have one computer you’re working on and it contains all that you need, and that includes access to messaging and email and again the internet for data transfer. So even just looking at mail is more convenient on the same computer. And depending on what software I’m using I’m often copy-pasting timecode from an email with mix notes into my DAW. It’s a bit faster than typing (even though I type fast). Of course the other way of looking at it is that you now have the one computer that’s ‘messy’ because all of these apps are running, but to each their own.

Lastly I’d say that there’s another tradeoff worth considering: People talk about the ‘safety’ of their system and their ability to do work on it. Well assuming that there is collaboration or sharing taking place, and installation or use of software on the DAW computer that is offline, you’re actually still subjecting the computer to data from outside. So while MS won’t be the one messing with your system, you’re still at risk of getting malware. Windows 10 Pro’s security updates help prevent that by updating the security features in the OS. If you don’t update the OS you’re not getting the latest patches.

So while you’re avoiding MS you might be increasing your risk from other sources. And of course, a malware attack can be just as bad or worse than an MS update that messes with some driver.

Both of those scenarios are probably unlikely though.

THE primary concern!!!

Yes, and I have it. Just hadn’t installed it. You’d have to be following up on it to know of any changes in their protocol.
It’s good to know the info you gave me. I’m still going to dual boot in the meantime.

I think that is a sensible approach if you’re worried.

I take a Rennie

Dude, I did read your comment. My point is that people criticize MS without any evidence of it (telemetry) having caused serious problems to individuals from a privacy standpoint. I get that you don’t think you need concrete examples of it and that’s where we differ in opinion. It’s not that I didn’t read what you wrote.

Not really. I think it’s more like worrying about any other organization taking your data and being careless with it or using it unethically. Could be MS, could be Yahoo, could be any random bank or financial institution. We all give large corporations sensitive data, and in some cases we trust them and in some we don’t. All in all I have more trust in MS than financial institutions.

Well again - let’s focus on what we’re actually talking about here, ok?..: Microsoft.

So tell me even just a few instances where the telemetry data MS gathered was used by someone doing nefarious “datamining, fingerprinting, conbining seemingly unrelated sets of data” etc. in a way where someone’s identity became clear and they were then harmed as a result.

datamining, fingerprinting, conbining seemingly unrelated sets of dataif you need a real-world preview, just look at China. :cry: [/quote]

Microsoft = China?

datamining, fingerprinting, conbining seemingly unrelated sets of dataand about MS’ or anybody else’s promises to anonymize your data and what not - all I’m saying is “I did not have sex with that woman !”
cigar, anybody ? :laughing: [/quote]

Either they do that technically or they do not. If you don’t think they do then whatever.

I’ll give you one example though that is good - just this weekend my friend lost a bag with his wallet in it. It contained his credit and debit cards. Just a few weeks ago we had discussed my NFC payments using my watch and phone. I made the point that if someone stole my wallet I would have to block the cards in the wallet. If someone on the other hand stole my phone I could disable the NFC payment wallet. Before that was the MS wallet, and now Samsung.

The way these payments work to my knowledge is that a proxy card number is created and it is known by my device and my bank. That is the number that is used. When used nobody gets my actual number, just the proxy. The fact that this is a proxy makes my use anonymous to the vendor and to any device trying to scan the transaction. Sure, they might get the proxy number, but they won’t get the real number, and any combining of disparate data will yield zero results.

Making data anonymous works.

I don’t know why, but there’s this idea floating around that somehow MS is this particularly bad actor that has set us all up to be screwed by collected data. Curiously people weren’t complaining about backdoors in Win 7 or 98, or in a million other products that MS and others offer.

I actually honestly think MS made it worse by copping to the collection of data and being relatively up front about it.

I think it’d be more interesting to hear well founded factually based actual cases of problems arising from MS’ data gathering, rather than what looks more like fear mongering.

Windows Defender if I understand correctly will act “intelligently” by blocking known bad content. That’ll then depend on it knowing what content is bad and thus needs to get updates in order to block said content, which in turn requires a connection. Spectre / Meltdown comes to mind as examples where software updates were pushed out to mitigate a vulnerability.

As for software and drivers getting out of whack I’m referring to them being coded in a way that isn’t officially in line with what MS requires. So if coding is out-of-bounds so to speak an OS update can absolutely lead to problems, not because of the OS but because the software / drivers weren’t written according to spec. Some copyright software has been named as an example of this. The opposite also applies where a software is updated and suddenly misbehaves on an OS version it “should” be compatible. I’ve “even” seen this a million times on OSX.

Out of everything we get to worry about when it comes to data in my book MS is one of the lesser worries. Between Facebook and banks and whatnot it’s just not a huge deal.

I just don’t understand how sticking with an obsolete/unsafe OS is an example of reasoned thought and responsibility?

I prefer to look at things logically and only take hearsay as truth IF there’s some fact or substance behind it. And there’s nothing that MS is doing that would lead me to the conclusion that i’m in anyway unsafe by using Win 10, in fact they’re quite transparent on the fact that they gather data AND document it to a very detailed level on their site:-

I’m not wanting to argue or question your personal choice, as i fully respect anyone’s opinion… But i just can’t see the reason or logic to avoid it so vehemently?
You may just be worried ‘incase’ something comes out in future, based on no facts at current… And there’s no shame in that. But you got to be careful not to believe too many of the conspiracies and paranoia that’s floated around - as we’re all subject to that across the board.

I’ve said it before, and now i’ll say it again… gay frogs! :astonished: :astonished: :laughing:

I just had to google for that… lol amazing.

Needless snark aside I’m pretty sure my trust in MS is about as large as your trust in your bank - yet you still use a bank and not cash only, no? So it’s really more a matter of where we draw the line practically.

And non-practically I take it you subscribe to Anarchism as a political philosophy, is that right?

At least superficially there seems to be absolutely nothing “independent” about your thinking about Microsoft versus “privacy” - that’s why I brought up that it’s the same criticism against it with the same lack of real world examples of people having problems with it.

One can use WIndows 10 Pro and minimize the amount of telemetry data as well as carefully monitor both one’s financials and Microsoft’s actual policies put into practice.

For example; Microsoft fought the US government in courts to retain the right to NOT give access to emails stored on servers outside of the US. To me that inspired greater confidence because MS understood their clients worry about data sharing.

And again - I’d love to see examples of these “consequences” regarding Microsoft versus privacy… alas… nothing yet…

So you shield your DAW and Music from any form of possible spying, yet carry out your everyday tasks on a machine that is happy throwing out your personal info?
Think you’ve got things the wrong way round mate - unless you’ve got a crap ton of ‘acquired’ software sat on that audio pc lol.

K.

So tell us what data Microsoft collects - specifically - and how it then - again specifically - does not anonymize the data, and how - specifically - someone can access that data and re-combine it and re-associate it to get to my actual identity.

I’ll wait.