Win 7 or Win 10 for pro use of Cubase

Hi. I am going to start a fresh set up with Cubase 9 for professional production use.
What is the best solution with less problem, with Win 7 or Win 10 ?
I have an i5 intel processer, 24 Gigs ram and ssd disks (sistem & main work) with hybrid ones (plugins & sounds) too.
Thanks

Hi majc,

I personally use Windows 7 (never liked the interface and the account based features of Windows 10), but in any case both OS are equally stable for using Cubase. Don’t spend too much time on this, both will work just fine.

• RM

i use both OS’s. There is indeed no difference between them for using cubase.
But Win 10 is the obvious choice if you do not want to have compatibility issues in the near future, but that being said i personally do not like the policy in win10 with keeping you online as much as possible and sending you things that you haven’t asked for and keeping track of every thing you do in the most irritating way. So most of the time i keep the win10 OS in “plane modus” so that the netwerk is switched off. Only when i want to update i go online with it.
Also, no games, no chitchat, no facebook, nothing social media, and things like that on the music machine.
In other words: it mostly depends on your own behaviour if you want to keep a system save and stable or not.

kind regards,
R.

I use Windows 10 but you may find that network activity will interfere particularly with an onboard network card.

Windows 7 - it’s a no brainer. If you have any third-party original material on your PC it is your duty not to make it available to Microsoft by installing Windows 10. Microsoft will be forced to extend the support term beyond 2020 because of the sheer number of users who refuse to abandon W7 for the malware/spyware that is Windows 10. :imp: :imp:

I think the term “Malware” is taking it a bit far, most of what gets sent to M$ is statistics anyway.

It’s a good debate but how many people would have a smartphone and do you know what that’s transmitting to the CIA?

My point is about original material that has been entrusted to us by our customers etc., and saved to our hard drives. That trust is undermined by Windows 10. Here’s a link from a support tech, the first hit to my query “Is Windows 10 Malware?” Try it yourself!
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_security/windows-10-is-malware/d8683bfb-2fef-4fc4-90e8-7656976b387d?auth=1

I don’t think the term “Malware” applies to adware/spyware. A more apt term would be Grayware but to use that term implies a non-defined behavior.

Besides anything else, we are talking about an OS, not applications or programs.

For example, I use OneDrive to backup all my projects and I’ve never had a problem with files disappearing or being changed, corrupted etc so YMMV and most settings can be changed.

That link is just to an old thread where users are debating about it, and is rife with incorrect and outdated info.

The idea that files stored on your machine are vulnerable is no more or less true now with Win 10 than is is with any other OS, system or service.

The hard drive in your PC that’s connected to the Internet is certainly not absolutely secure - and the problem isn’t the OS you run. You would have to remove the storage device from the machine to fully be secure.

To add, many drives now have AES encryption at the hardware level which may be worth investing in for greater security.

For me…
I thought Cubase running on Win 7 was a winner that could not be improved upon. Then I upgraded to a Win 10 machine. Now I say you can’t beat Cubase running on Win 10. So go with the latest and greatest. You won’t be disappointed.

As far as “The Man” always listening/watching. They probably are (with anything (and any OS) connected to the web). So, I made myself feel like I stopped it a bit by adding the words “_nomap_optout” to the name of my network. I read this somewhere when Win 10 first came out. It is probably BS. :wink:

Bottom line… Win 10 +1

Regards :sunglasses:

Oy. _nomap_optout - Google Search

Sheesh… nowadays I even need to take the batteries out of my cell phone when I make music… :unamused:

Don’t forget to cover the front camera.

Or cover yourself in silver foil…

I’m a serious amateur, not a pro, but for me it’s a no-brainer. Win 10 all day. It’s leaner and runs the drivers for my ancient Firewire audio interface infinitely better than Win 7 ever did (once I did a clean install). And being more recent, it will inevitably outlive Win 7 in terms of both support and improvements.

Not only is EOL longer, newer Cubase versions will be supported well into the future even if SB formally drops support.

Add to that all the legacy code that MS removes with each new version and more efficient methods implemented to access WASAPI from ASIO (this happened from Win7 to Vista and now Win8 to 10):

and to me it’s a no brainer.

Never look back I say, always look forward.

If you don’t want to be left behind, install a separate boot drive with Windows 10 and get yourself working.

The active onboard network interface is actually WORSE for me in Windows 7. With Windows 10 I can have my network interface activated without it messing with my ASIO driver. I still keep it off anyway.

It’s improving, there was a recent cumulative update that is making the situation better but depending on what you are doing it’s best to keep it off while working, particularly with low latencies but there is always a period; especially when new versions of Cubase are released that audio is extremely flakey when the network is ON.

Network activity (or glitches due to buffer issues) won’t effect file rendering but when mixing you will hear it and when recording it’s a definite no no as it effects latency thus the pops, crackles and glitches you will hear which can actually freeze the workstation.