WIN-7 SP1 and Cubase

HI all

I dont know if this is the correct place to post this but I’ll try…
have any of you installed WIN-7 SP1 yet? any known issues?

Thanks for any answers

regards
PMF

Installed, no problems.

Works fine for me too.

So far, so good.

Thanks for the answers. I’ll be installing on Saturday after an image :slight_smile:

Provided the previous version was stable, I’ve never had a problem with SPx updates.

You either have a short memory, or you are lucky. Windows XP SP3…it broke a lot of working machines.

Not mine it didn’t, I’ve always kept my OS up to date, never a problem.

Not even a the slightest hick-up. As well as I remember, very few people had a problem. Crofter too. Perhaps it was just you and a few others? Perhaps it was not SP3 and Cubase but some other component like your video card or audio card?

Regardless… updates fix problems. They usually don’t cause problems. I guess they can highlight previously existing or underlying issues.

If I remember correctly, SP3 for WinXP had authentication protocols in it which caused a lot of machines to fail to boot after a specified amount of time (1 month I think). So many of the complaints could have been from users with invalid copies. (This happened to my roomate). They later released a version without the authentication protocol.

Usually, but there have been issues with enhanced security which would invalidate components which were formerly admin level. Plus it would turn back on services and processes which were formerly turned off due to performance tweaking. That is the main reason why I hesitate to update. Because I’m not sure of all the tweaks I did so many months ago, and don’t want to see my performance degrade when it has been working so well.

With Windows 7 though, I believe the “resetting” of Windows components and features have been relaxed so it’s not as big a deal. Still makes me nervous though.

I see, so because you never had a problem, it must not have existed.

Thanks. :unamused:

I see the inverse of that statement. Because you had a problem, it must have been everyone else too. :unamused:

Surely all the people who had no problem were crawling the forums talking about it. :laughing:

That being the case, isn’t it on the end-user to know what they are doing and how to configure the computer properly for a specific task? Sure it may be annoying to loose a setting or tweak a system, but 20 minutes isn’t a lot of time to spend. It certainly doesn’t take hours to change some settings.

Nothing is as difficult to stabilize as Win98 and all of these “performance configurations” are often over-rated on the modern setup. Sure you might squeeze a few extra plugins or tracks out of the box but updates are rarely a stability problem.

Bottom line… If you’re in the middle of a critical project with deadlines and money involved, DONT DO ANYTHING to change the system until that project is complete. Got nothing going on? Go crazy and jump in… an SP update won’t hurt too bad. I promise.

Yes it is.

Nothing is as difficult to stabilize as Win98 and all of these “performance configurations” are often over-rated on the modern setup. Sure you might squeeze a few extra plugins or tracks out of the box but updates are rarely a stability problem.

I’m not sure why you pulled Win98 out of the history books, that doesn’t really apply to systems from XP to current. There are many things one can do to increase the performance of your system, and I’m not talking about overclocking. Optimizing my Win7 system increased CPU stability 5-fold as well as pulling about an extra 5% of headroom. I wouldn’t exactly call that “…a few extra”. I would have to disagree and call it underrated. This is of course how serious the owner / engineer is. If you have a super powerful system, you might not need to tweak anything, but I’m of the mind that additional stability is always a good thing.

Bottom line… If you’re in the middle of a critical project with deadlines and money involved, DONT DO ANYTHING to change the system until that project is complete. Got nothing going on? Go crazy and jump in… an SP update won’t hurt too bad. I promise.

I agree in regards to waiting until you’re between projects. But since you promise about it being relatively painless. Can I bill you for time wasted if it doesn’t work??? :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

I will be installing the update soon enough though.

All OK here after a day or two.

MS say that Win7 SP1 is only a collection of patches they’ve already released (and if you’re up to date with the OS) are probably already installed.

When I took the plunge the updater claimed SP1 was around 150MB but it actually only downloaded and installed about 16MB. I imagine this was because it could tell I already had the other 134MB installed.

Installing SP1 required a couple of longish shutdowns and restarts (“Updating - Do not shut down - 30% complete” etc).

I’ve had no issues running C6 following the update and didn’t have any before. As far as I can tell, nothing has changed in terms of function and performance.

James

OK, so here’s how my upgrade went…
I updated the studio PC without any probs and everything (Samp, Cubase and Sequel) run just perferctly afterwrds. I was also happy that the the old Hammerfall card didn’t cause any probs either (on WIN-7 32Bit SP1).

So I got brave :frowning: … and decided to update my laptop (a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge with WIN-7 64bit) too which I sometimes use as an “at home or mobile” DAW… and then the problems stared :frowning:. It started off OK but then all of a sudden the update was still running after about 1 hour(!)… so I just shut the computer down…I suppose that wasnt such a good idea… In the end the update just couldnt be applied anymore and I had to download the update readiness tool (Windows6.1-KB947821-v10-x64)… afterwrds the update finished…but since then my USB ports dont work anymore (USB Root Hub has a “!” in front of it). I tried with all Lenovo Updates, win updates and so on but the USB root hub still doesnt work. When I start the computer in dirver signing inactive mode, it loads the USB driver properly… but I cant keep on starting the computer with driver signing inactive :frowning:

Any of you heard of something like this before?

My next step will be to re-install windows and start from the beginning.

Sounds like the USB controller for the laptop is missing the correct driver. I would remove those problem components via Device Manager. Then download the latest drivers from Lenovo. Grab your Window’s installation disc and Lenovo discs just in case. Scan for hardware changes through Device Manager and browse for those drivers required for the found hardware.

You might also want to try something like CCleaner. It’s a great tool for cleaning-up conflicts.

Thanks for the answers. I did all of that (the Lenovo updates and so on) but I didnt have the nerves to continue searching for what exactly the prob is… so I went back to the image before the SP1 Upgrade and everything (USB onboard Hub) is running again.

BUT, I didnt just format the drive… I made an image of the drive (after the SP1 upgrade) and when I have some time I’ll try and continue seaching for what happened exactly. For the time being I’ll continue working without SP1 on the laptop.