Windows 10: audio dropouts on multi-core CPU setups

Just for the record for anyone else looking for big fast multicore solution that really works, the other rig I have runs a Xeon 14 core 2673v3 and windows 7 and it is flawless. 25% cpu on a huge template 1700 tracks with VSL EP and CB9 running on the same machine. What an idiot I am! Should have stuck with that.

I think Steinberg should really think about putting this warning in the tech requirements as more and more W10 i9 multicore computers wont run CB. Currently their tech requirements are simply not true.

To be fair, I am running w10 on a 14-core i9, and since 10.5 and keeping Turboboost turned off, I am running fine. Even with a huge Hollywood Orchestra template based on Hans Zimmerman’s template.

I am not getting spikes or dropouts at the moment.

Hello, everyone. Have someone found the solution for the problem? Because there are still performance issues with cubase 10,5 with overloaded performance meter and task manager showing only 20 per cent of cpu load.

There are several posts, with long lists of system configuration settings (some for UEFI, others for Windows 10) to customise yoyr system for Cubase, but they’re only useful if you need your computer just for Cubase and nothing else.

On a 10-core i9, I get spikes and dropouts even with a single track project (which I used only for testing). My system features 32GB Ram, m.2 ssd, 4x nvidia gpus (for 3d rendering), 5x Sata HDDs and a Thunderbolt card, on an Asus X299 Sage Workstation motherboard.

Looks like Windows 10 is not good at managing resources efficiently, or Cubase doesn’t make good use of the operating system’s capabilities, or both are true. Can’t be sure…

Hey ntsarb,
Since I see you’re experiencing problems like me, did you find any solution? As I wrote here Cubase 10 unusable due to regular spikes and clicks - Cubase - Steinberg Forums I find out that the dual video card setup (Intel + NVidia) has something to deal with the spikes, but any other thoughts would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Raoul

Hi Raoul, I had not found a solution until today. I upgraded to Cubase Pro 11. On my Intel i9 7900X based system, it eventually performs efficiently, using ASIO-Guard, Level: Low (17ms additional latency). In Cubase Pro up to version 10.5, even with high ASIO-Guard setting, spikes were a major problem with every project, irrespective of number of channels. Looks like Steinberg has resolved the problem in the latest version, but I’m also thinking it’s unacceptable to be asking people to upgrade in order to make the software usable…

Having said that, I am not suggesting you should upgrade to the latest version, as I can’t be sure that your system is affected in the same way mine was, but if you normally upgrade, I highly recommend that you upgrade sooner rather than later. Version 11 addresses several other issues, including support for Hi-DPI displays in Windows.

I hope you find the above useful.

Hey ntsarb,
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. What I did not mention in my post is that I’m already using Cubase 11. In any case, your experience confirms everyone’s thoughts: laptops and audio recordings are not good friends, at least these kinds of laptops.
The point is that you can find an acceptable way to record with those specific configurations, but you need to “expect the unexpected” in the end.
Because of this, I ended up buying a desktop, but again it’s a shame there are no solutions.

Thanks,

Raoul