Windows 10: audio dropouts on multi-core CPU setups

No fix for this in 9.5?

Hey guys, just a quick tip as I miraculously found a solution to what seemed an unsolvable problem.
I tried absolutely EVERYTHING mentioned here and nothing seemed to help with my CPU hitting 100% and ASIO dropouts, until I simply turned off (quit) my Kaspersky Internet Securityā€¦the CPU immediately went down to 10-15% and everything is running fine ever since.

Win 10
Intel i7 4770k
Cubase 9.5.30
RME Fireface 400
Waves Soundgrid Server One

Regards,

h3kt0

Thanks for the link.

Same limitation of # of MMCSS threads exist in the latest Windows 10 upgrade 1809.
During playback of a large 400 tracks test Project I get also audio dropouts, although my machine is very nicely tuned for audio.
E5-1650v3 CPU (6 cores, 12 threads).

ive started getting the same problemsā€¦ive had them the past few days I have a Apollo twin usb and it was happily running at a buffer of 126 sice the day I bought it.
but as off sunday if I load up a project I created in Cubase 9.5 it will glitch/slow down/pop unless I raise the buffer too 256 or above even at 256 theres still artifactsā€¦

but I cant understand why when it ran and recorded it fine and was working ok last week at buffers of 126.

the only thing when has changed over the weekend was I bought a Behringer neutron and installed its driver and installed Cubase 9.5.40.i think windows 10 may have updated something too but cant be sure.

my pc has a i7-5820k cpu 3.30ghz/12 logical procesors/32gb ram/windows 10 1083.

any help?

Is there any news on any of this? Have Steinberg ever hinted that theyā€™re working on a way to actually make use of the higher-core-count processors? Not all DAWs are limited in this way, after all.

Havenā€™t read the full thread, so bear with me.

I have really nice even load in Cubase on 8 cores(i7 quadcore with hyperthreading).

But have issues with other stuff in computer that in regular intervals do things that cause crackle at playback, or if recording it stops and give message of dropout.

I have eliminated a bunch of software that do scheduled stuff, like first 20 minutes after boot and similar, various checks for updates even though no network is up etc. But still have an ongoing one - every hour, on 5 seconds distance - that cause this problem still. Repeatable - next boot - take note of when booted up - and within two minutes from that first dropout will appear, and then on 5-10s from that point - all day through.

Spent full day yesterday and still see no immediate cpu increase on any running service or process overall. Gone through all scheduled tasks and nothing. Run auditing to see what processes start and exit - and still nothing.

Next step is to run process explorer and see if any thread in Cubase itself?
I have no autosave on jobs active.

I have this thread a bit below about this - if there is a setting and Cubase it too sensitive to dropouts loosing the sync?

I remember Sonar has such a setting how long dropout should make transport stop.

I will make a test today with Sonar and see if in computer something can disturb audio enough - without obvious jump in cpu.
I filmed task manager in both process explorer and task manager to see when it happends.

Other tips from me
a) Task scheduler in Administrative tools - there you have a good bunch of things that are triggered on various events.
There I found most of disturbances.
b) Security soemthing, also in Administrative tools - auditing can be help to narrow down if dropout occur to a process that is started on scheduled stuff. Look both in Local Audit and Advanced audit to enable those - process tracking, I think it was called.

@Larioso
Nvidia drivers are the worst, check it and try different versions. Latest doesnĀ“t always mean best, as weĀ“ve seen with SteinbergĀ“s update

Thank you, have not updated since in spring some time, but will update and see if any difference.
I removed a full bunch of Nvidia stuff in Task Scheduler, that was already disabled since long - in msconfig Startup.

I tested right now in Sonar - no problem at all, Continuous record and no sign of dropouts.

I sense that Cubase is very sensitive in how it intercept it looses sync?

Have set audio to boost after my testa started, and also Steinberg power scheme - no difference.

About to test setting External sync on - where Cubase allow samplerate to run from another source - will see if any difference.

EDIT: No change on this, external clock become the same
And it comes on the second hourly from the first system event log for the day, about windows starting up.
So something is scheduled then - and create a problem in Cubase - mark not Sonar - only Cubase.

So does the registry fix solve the problem now? Iā€™m planning a new computer build and Iā€™m thinking of i9 9900k (8 core, 16 thread). Would it be totally pointless if we need to disable 2 threads anyway?

To the best of my knowledge, the registry fix makes things more stable but yes youā€™re abandoning anything over 7 cores with hyperthreading. So this new Basin Falls range is largely a waste of time for Cubase users. Really hoping C10 changes something in the Audio Engine to get round thisā€¦ the registry ā€œfixā€ is certainly no long term solution and Steinberg will be making themselves increasingly irrelevant if Cubase canā€™t use new technology.

The registry key is meant to overcome the limitation set to 32 MMCSS, it is not limiting to any arbitrary number of cores, be it 7 or anything else - on the contrary, it allows to use all available cores/threads.
The audioengine.properties file is the only work-around limiting the amount of used cores (to 14)

However, the audio engine in Cubase 10 already changes this.

Thank for the clarification

Excellent news. Pre-christmas release I hope?

r,
j,

So did I understand it right. When cubase 10 arrives it is now possible to get a processor that has for example 20 cores? And it will work right.

Could you also program the installer to check for the older 1.9.x Yamaha USB driver and update to the latest >1.10.x where needed when Steinberg hardware is used on the system?
This is important for CPU load and preventing constant peak even with no project loaded under WIn 10 180x.

nice one!

After I found out that C10 is really nice in my first tests I am just building a new machine feat the new 9900K - with 8 cores and 16 logical cores.

Unfortunately I stepped over a bug in C10 (hitpoints are broken!!) which unfortunately needs me to wait with switching to C10.

What is the best procedure to run C9.5 (recording, editing) and C10 (mixing) on this machine?
Just switching of HT in the bios? I found that C9.5 barely use the HT-extra coresā€¦ so this might not make a huge difference ā€¦ When C10 is fixed I should easily be able to switch on HT again?

In older days I had the experience that Cubase never made much use out of the extra HT cores, but the overall performance of the system was a bit snappier - maybe because Win used the extra Cores for some stuff in high-load situation.

Sorry when this is OT, maybe one can direct me to a topic dealing with 16 cores / Win10 / C9.5ā€¦?

To stay On Topic: I will do some intense testing with high load projects in C10 running 16 cores - of cores :slight_smile: I am corious :slight_smile: My current project is around 850 audio/group tracks and I need juice thats why I am upgradingā€¦

ah, one second, maybe I mixed it up we are in the C9 board ATMā€¦ it would be OT in the topic featured in the C10 board :slight_smile:

ā€¦ when I switch of HT in the biosā€¦ does this affect anything in W10 which needs to be changed? In other words:

Could it be a solution to just switch of HT in the bios when in recording sessions and when needing some extra juice in a C10 mix I switch on, reboot?!

I do not want to edit the registry on that fresh system because the days of (very wonderful) C9x are counted - at least when C10 is fixedā€¦

Ok, maybe the better idea ist to disabling one physical Core (2 logical cores) in the bios?

Will this fix these issues I have to expect in Win10 running C9.5 on a 8/16 core system?

I am new to Win10, I am still using Win7 and have Zero issuesā€¦ 6 physical cores, 12 with HTā€¦