Windows 10 - please do not upgrade! Discussion

True, but it closed fine for me 99% of the time on 8.1 and I’ve never had problems closing Halion 5.

From what I’ve noticed Cubase itself runs fine, it’s more or less just working kinks out.

My interface however is really old (UX1) it seems line 6 are taking their time to update their drivers :')

…I found out what was causing my problems - Oxford Inflator 64bit. This plugin reliably crashes my copy of Cubase 8.0.20 on Windows 10 10240. Anyone else seeing issues with the Oxford plugins? I only have the Inflator, so I can’t speak to the others.

After removing that plugin for the time being, I have to say it’s been really nice working on Windows 10. I own a ton of other VSTs/plugins and aside from the Oxford Inflator, they all work great. In fact, everything is now working as well as it did on my W7 machine. Maybe even better. It’s still a bit soon to tell for sure, but things are looking very good so far.

I upgraded from windows 8.1 pro to windows 10 pro
Cubase working half ;
halion sonic se cannot find content ;error message : no layer edit page found , please make sure vst sound instrument set correctly installed
loopmash the same ,no samples found;
groove agent works
Midi input is delayed
Tried reinstalling hsse ; tried reinstalling cubase completely ; same issue :cry:

Gonna put back my win 8.1 image

I will not jump to Windows 10 for an half year at least (and probably longer). I have expensive hardware that is not longer supported in Windows 8 and higher. I have to replace that hardware to keep things running here, but my budget is limited and it will take time. If Steinberg would drop support for Windows 7 users in favor of Windows 10 it would mean that I am out of luck.

I would not be very pleased about that.

On top of that. I also would rather see how Windows 10 will work with all the plugins and Cubase in the long run. Personally I always wait for several months before updating to an complete new Operating System. There are always unexpected problems that arise with hard-, and software. Coming from an IT based company (we maintain large networks and servers), I know how important compatibility tests are, and also the importance of taking time to test everything throughly before “jumping ship”. There is nothing worse as failing hardware or software at critical moments (most times when clients are present).

So - yes. By all means make Cubase Windows 10 ready, but do not forget your older costumers that have good reasons to not “jump ship” at this moment.

W7 support FUD
Why would SB drop support for W7 so soon, especially since it is still a popular and currently MS-supported OS?

SB would be making decisions about what OSs to support mainly based upon their product road maps, what facilities they can use in each OS version to support that, what OS versions their product user bases mainly use, and to what level the OS versions are still supported by their maker.

There is unlikely to be a definite x+2 support ‘rule’ because the specific OS facilities that SB’s products rely upon may not change for several versions, or a version of an OS may just offer something so new that it is worth implementing around immediately.

Use common sense before upgrading
For anyone who is DEPENDENT upon their computer for RELIABLE music production, regardless of whether for business or hobby, you MUST NOT just upgrade, but test for compatibility on a system OTHER than your production system.

If you cannot afford another system, then delay until others with similar configurations report their experiences in enough detail that you can be fairly confident in upgrading.

With the ongoing update model being used for W10, it may be most prudent to do this for each minor update, making the Pro version the obvious choice for update management, as it allows delays to updates and patches.

The real W10 only from 29 July
And for those that say they have been testing W10 for ANYTHING earlier than 29/07/2015, those versions were INCOMPLETE and possibly had been set up by MS to test particular marginal operational conditions, so they are an UNRELIABLE indicator of performance on the released production OS.

This is why software makers could not do reliable testing, nor make useful recommendations until it was actually released.

I do not entirely agree, the question of how it works on, as you put it; your production machine can only be assessed on your production machine. You have a free upgrade that you can install and test with the one month option of rolling back to your original OS. I am testing and using it now and will not be rolling back to Windows 7 I have less problems and a much much quicker PC. My PC is low spec’d with only 4 GB of RAM no problems on 7 64 bit but like I said it flies on 10. No brainer from where I sit but nobody is forcing anyone to try 10, like it or indeed stay on it when they do. I strongly suspect that the majority who do give it a good test drive will stay with it. DAW manufacturers need to be quick and agile in getting on board with Windows 10 and remember in many cases it is easier to switch DAWs than an OS.

Enterprises do exactly what I have suggested as standard operational procedure, on machines configured like the production ones.

They usually do a lot of regression testing to make sure their line-of-business (LOB) apps all work, because downtime loses them money from their customers, inconveniences their customers, and diverts resources from profit-making. They also usually have a rollback strategy, with retest, for if the rollout hits a critical failure.

It is huge expense for a business to upgrade as OS, far outweighing the cost of the licenses.

However, small businesses tend to either:
a) be very conservative, and do nothing until they have to, or
b) jump in and suck-it-and-see, hoping that it will all work or be easy to get back, neither of which can be guaranteed, unless they have pretested both scenarios.

If you are CONTINUOUSLY DEPENDENT upon your production machine, it is extremely unwise to risk it on an OS upgrade without taking substantial measures to gain a high degree of confidence in the endeavour. Of course, if you don’t mind risking being without a working machine for an unknown period of time, that is your prerogative.

I couldn’t agree more with Patanjali, especially on his earlier comment about Windows 8.1. People on the net acted like there was this huge problem with it. I never got it. I loved Windows 8.1. And I don’t use a touch screen. Popping the Windows key to check my mail was so easy, even while my edit was playing in Premiere or Cubase. Something I never had in 7.

So if anyone’s interested here’s what I do…

I’ve put one of those $15 drawers in my computer so I can slide my C drive in and out. Then I made a disk image and cloned it on to a second drive. This way I can test these upgrades, and still have a working clone I can boot into. It’s the cost of the drawer and whatever hard drive you use (around $100.)

It not only can save you during these major upgrades, but if you have a drive failure as well. The two system drives share the same documents folder which has been moved to another physical drive.

Anyone who uses their machine for business should have a working OS copy you can slide in at any point in case of failure. Just my opinion.

Speak for yourself. I’m not prepared to spend money on another DAW specific PC workstation that I purchased only 2 1/2 years ago and that was optimized for Windows 7! From what I’ve heard and read, Windows 8 still isn’t as reliable as Windows 7 so should they drop support for that too? I’m a fan of 'if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!"

Sometimes I think that those individuals who are always jumping to the latest and greatest of anything and everything spend more time updating software and operating systems than actually making music :laughing: .

Similarly, I have all my SSDs in a 6x2.5" 5.25 rack in a dual-boot Win 8.1 system, with each OS on its own drive, and all the Documents, Pictures, Videos, Favourites, Downloads and Desktop redirected, using the standard Win facility, to a common data drive. I have a separate drive for projects, formatted with 64kB sectors.

Because Win 8.x remembers the last drive booted from, rather than use the boot manager, I just open that drive bay to boot from the other when required.

It will be interesting to see how W10 handles all this.

My answer to cmaffia’s comment is… any system that can run Windows 7 can run Win 8.1 or 10 at least as well, if not better. There is a lot lower overhead with the newer OSes, plus they deal with memory management a lot better.

To be clear, I’m not suggesting you try it, cmaffia. Especially, if you’ve had someone else build your DAW.

But I build all my own systems - five of them in my home alone. And I upgraded all of them to Win 10 last week, including two laptops. One was a Toshiba Satellite that originally came pre-installed with Vista. And I can tell you even that old machine runs faster under 10 than 7 (which it had been running after I upgraded it.) Everything had a system image before I started.

So—No—I don’t spend more time tweaking things than making music, I just do things smarter on the front end. Though I do spend spend more time editing television on my system than making music.

Different strokes for different folks. I simply don’t have the time to test my environment with a brand new OS but regardless, that wasn’t even my point.

Upgrading to Windows 10 (or any new OS for that matter) is a risk for me as I rely heavily on 3rd party hardware and their related drivers which haven’t been validated yet. I’m even more hesitant once the company who produces the centerpiece of my environment posts a sticky in their forum “Windows 10 - please do not upgrade!”.

I’ll consider upgrading once all the manufactures of my gear have addressed any issues and after SP1 of Windows 10 has been released. That’s my version of how I do things smarter on the front-end.

Sure, I understand, cmaffia. You’re being smart since you have only one system drive to test things on. I wouldn’t attempt anything in that scenario either.

I was just suggesting a way in my first email to test new things with no risk. Not different strokes really, just a different way of dealing with the same issue.

Wish you the best on your music.

After a number of re-installs (tried default location and was the same) (I did an image backup before installing Cubase so was easy to go back),

I noticed the elicenser would not complete it’s maintenance, would get about 1/3 of the way then just do nothing (left it going for hrs)

After trying numerous things like different compatibility modes etc, it occurred to me that it was in a USB3 port.

I moved it to a USB2 port and now the maintenance runs fine and both Cubase and Halion5 run perfectly (and quit perfectly as they did under 8.1).

When I had the elicenser in the USB3 port, one of my projects (a tiny one with 2 tracks) would not open, it hung at opening mix window. As soon as I moved to USB2 port, it opened fine.

My studio room is currently being re decorated over the next 2 weeks, so I decided to go against the advice and give Windows 10 a try. First impression of the O/S itself is overall very good.
Presonus reported that my Studio Live desk is W10 compatible, so that was something at least.
I did notice on one of the first Cubase projects I loaded occasional dropouts on a stereo audio file that were not there before. So clearly something is not 100 per cent as has been reported by Steinberg. However I turned off ASIO Guard and that made the dropouts disappear or at least become not noticeable. I have not had any problems on the midi side so far. I exported a couple of mixes and could hear no problems with the resulting stereo file.
Wavelab Elements seems to be working flawlessly.
I am going to stick with it for the time being, as I feel hopeful that by the time my studio is up and running again a W10 Steinberg update for Cubendo will be available or at least well in the pipeline.
Fingers crossed :slight_smile:

issues with ilock, have rolled back, ilock is fine on W7, but on W10 i have to
go into services, select pace, then right click and select the start option for ilock to run. then all is ok, but once I close or restart PC then back to square one

like the look of C8 though and how gui can be re-sized as per windows personalization setting.

I wonder how much snapper Win 10 is compared to 8.1. I know with Cubase 8 my performance doubled when i upgraded to Win 8. I was very pleased. Now that Ive upgraded my machine my system is really fast and rock solid. im in no hurry to jump on the Win 10 band wagon, all my PC does anyway is Cubase and Adobe Premiere Pro. Id much rather Steiny come with an update that covers all bases, not one that forces me into windows 10 because the Optimised it for one specific OS

No problems here on two computers and one of them uses the Steinberg interface. I love that they start testing it AFTER Windows 10 is released when there were so many beta versions available for a year.

Just a tip for Windows 10 users, if you use the Windows Key + Ctrl + either left or right arrow, you can switch between virtual desktops. I’m going to use Logitech Gaming Software to make macros for this so I can do it one key for next screen or one key for previous screen.

How do you know that they haven’t been testing from the start?

However, with the OS morphing rapidly in the last few months, the only time they could be certain W10 was in a stable configuration, and thus when any issues could be reliable tested and reported on, was just before release.

These issues could have only recently appeared, or some of the key supporting components in the OS may not have been in place until recently, so that they couldn’t have even started comprehensive testing. Too many hidden moving pieces to be able to make such categorical criticisms.