Windows 10 update causes Dorico to freeze

Windows 10 performed an update this morning and now Dorico will not function. It loads up OK, but once a file is loaded, any attempt to do anything causes the program to freeze. I updated Dorico itself to the latest version just a few days ago.

I installed the same update without issues. Can you upload a diagnostics report here?

Hi Chris, sorry to hear about your trouble.
Do you have a Steinberg audio interface connected to your computer? Then it could be that you ran into this issue: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=246&t=167225&p=893845&hilit=ysusb+driver#p893845

If it is not then please do as Dan suggested, from Dorico’s menu choose Help > Create Diagnostics Report. That creates a zip file on your desktop, please attach it here.

If it was a major update, as well as what Ulf suggested also reinstall the eLicenser Control Center. This will often fix problems.

Thanks for all your responses. The Windows update was a minor one. (whose purpose, as I understand it from various info online - was to resolve bugs emerging from the previous, major update!)
I don’t have a Steinberg audio interface, but I do have the Propellerhead (Reason) “Balance” interface. As is my habit, I pondered in my sleep about whether that could be the problem. So this morning I disconnected it, and used an alternative audio output - and everything is fine. I then reconnected Balance - restarted Dorico, in order to see if the Diagnostic report Ulf suggested might confirm this - but the program froze again with Balance now connected and so I can’t access the help menu! I have just tried Reason - which didn’t crash, but I get no sound - so I definitely think the Balance interface is the problem. Thanks again.

Please zip up the folder C:/Users//AppData/Roaming/Steinberg/VSTAudioEngine3 and attach here. After doing that, delete that folder and try starting Dorico again. Any better?

Please also zip up C:/Users//AppData/Roaming/Steinberg/Dorico3 and attach here.
And one more, if you find under C:/Users//Documents/Steinberg/CrashLogs some crash dumps of either Dorico or VSTAudioEngine, also please zip those up and attach here.
Normally the diagnostics report would contain all these 3 parts in one.

Dear Ulf - as requested, here are two of the zips you requested - the third - Crashlogs - does not exist - there is no folder in Documents named Steinberg. Thanks for your help with this.
VSTAudioEngine3_64 zipped.zip (300 KB)
Dorico 3 roaming.zip (116 KB)

Hi Chris, thanks for the data. Interesting case, something I’ve never seen before.
My interpretation of the log files is following. Dorico tries to set up your Balance device with 44.1kHz sample rate. While loading the project then the device itself somehow decides to switch to 48kHz. I don’t know by what event or so this is triggered. It should not matter anyhow, but what is happening, Dorico can’t cope with this callback and somehow deadlocks. It does not crash but comes to a standstill, but in the end it is the same, because you can’t do anything.
Actually, with what sample rate do you want to work, 44.1 or 48kHz?
I’ve attached a modified preferences file, where I set the default sample rate from 44.1 to 48kHz. Put that file (after unzipping) into the Dorico folder (from where you made the Dorico3roaming. zip) and overwrite the existing one. Then try again to start up.
If it is still not doing, please again create those 2 zips and attach here. Thanks very much.
preferences.zip (2.62 KB)

Hi Ulf - thank you so much for all your help - and on a Saturday evening too!
I replaced the preference file with your revised one - and your discoveries and explanations proved correct. Tried several activities in Dorico and no problem whatsoever. The Balance specification lists either 44.1 or 48kHz - when I use it with Reason, where audio files are more important, Reason is configured to 48kHz. My guess is that there was something in the Windows update which changed something - because the Balance output had been working fine since I bought Dorico back in January. Anyway, thank you again for your help in this.

Good to hear that you are up and running again. I will create an entry in our bug database; we need to look why Dorico is locking up when the sample rate change event comes in.