Windows 7 development dropped by Steinberg

Not good. :frowning:

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/360008642799-Windows-10-Support-of-older-hardware?fbclid=IwAR1Q5SpZiY2SsHA4zmkGvZO2BS7NtSis3oekfZJ4BTF_ZWsAujCgBKnt4R0

Steinberg

For upcoming and future product and update releases, we will no longer offer support for the Windows operating system below version 10. Customers may be able to install Steinberg software under Windows 7 and Windows 8, but since we are now solely developing and testing under Windows 10, we cannot offer official support for our software when running under previous versions of Windows. There are several reasons for this decision: Microsoft has announced the end of life of Windows 7; various technologies are only supported under Windows 10; and, most importantly, Windows 10 ensures the quality and effectiveness of Steinberg products. We recommend that Windows users who are planning to update their systems to move directly to Windows 10 to get the most out of their Steinberg product. […]

It’s not good - it’s great. There’s no advantage to Windows 7/8 these days but there are a lot of positives with Windows 10.

Ah, my friend, that is a sweeping categorical statement that cannot be proven empirically.

I can speak to it anecdotally, however. My personal experience has not been as you described. I have seen an endless parade of graphic card, graphic driver, audio hardware, display GUI oddities and various other issues from Windows 10 users on a consistent basis with each incremental release of Nuendo. None of which I have had.

My Windows 7 system simply works all the time with no drama, virtually never crashes (well, maybe once a year), and happily digests each and every Nuendo version that is released. Feel free to look through my posts of the last several years for any system issue or glitch.

The only issues I have are with the addition or deletion of features to the application itself. Now I don’t really care if Steinberg ceases development for Windows 7. I completely understand that. Time moves on and so will I once I have an issue running the software I use on Windows 7. But to date, you can’t really have less system problems than I have. Still on Windows 7. So unless the advantage to Windows 10 is having less than zero technical issues, I think I’m good.

But from what I see on these forums, Windows 10 is far from perfect, and as far as I can tell, still has growing pains not suffered by Windows 7

Those with issues with Windows 10 probably have older hardware. There are many advantages with Windows 10 (no FLS limit being a big one recently) and I’d personally rather Steinberg didn’t waste development resources on an OS which is EOL.

Well - what is so great about having to buy new hardware “just because”, especially when the “old” one works like a charm?

If your old system works fine then this is no problem. Just clone your sys drive and make sure you have spare components and you’ll be fine.

But for those of us who want new features and better optimized software it’s probably better to have Steinberg place resources on the current OS rather than the one that’s a decade old.

We shouldn’t forget that a lot of software will push hardware anyway, so it’s likely that sooner rather than later a lot of users will need new hardware to run new software, in which case they’ll end up on Win 10 most likely (because other hardware vendors might also cease support for v7).

To me this isn’t a big deal. Win 10 is very good and not that expensive.

Then stick with what you have if it works for you. Just don’t expect developers to devote their time/energy/resources to an obsolete system configuration.

The problem is: It doesn’t work for me as expected - although I paid for it now. Developers should devote their time to that. A press announcement saying basically “Oh, you have to move on” isn’t good practice, in my book. - I understood that you think it is, 1212.

You sig says you’re on NU7? Maybe that’s a good reason to look at it that way.

I guess sigs can be outdated because the user neglected to update it… :question:

I don’t think that’s entirely what he suggested. But at any rate, it’s really of zero relevance to this point that a prior version is left in an unfinished state because that is a far wider issue. If a company doesn’t fix what’s broken in an older version then I think we all agree that’s not really something we should accept. But it’s no more or less unfinished just because they stop supporting an older OS. In other words, you’re already complaining about the software not working as expected even WITH the support you will lose in the future - so what difference will it make as far as this is concerned?

I think we’ve made our points by now. Either you see the issue as a problem, or you don’t. I do, as it’s some kind of artificial obsolescence foisted on us.

it’s no more or less unfinished just because they stop supporting an older OS.

… this. But doesn’t that mean that you accept being officially duped? Mind you - we’re not talking about a 49,- Euro compressor plug-in here.

I politely disagree with both of your comments, specifically the first, it is not for me a simple yes or no topic. It has nuances and others can provide useful points of view for the future. At some point Win 10 will become Win 14 and so on etc…

Your commercial situation must be very different to mine. Win OS updates have been around for sometime. As a business we plan for it. There literally is no avoiding it as at some point it will become necessary due to hardware changes, needed features etc. If your workflow is static, unchanging, then I can see your point, ours is not, but you would still need to plan for that moving forward.

If you’re wanting the latest feature sets and functionality then upgrades to hardware and OS’s are a part of the process. I wouldn’t be putting the onus on Steinberg to support an EOL product if there isn’t the support there from the OS developer. Seems entirely fair to me.

A colleague of mine, who has a static workflow and toolset has been using the same PC for a decade (on Win 7). When he had it made he had two more built exactly the same with all of his software toolsets and shrink wrapped. Plus he ordered spare parts for everything. He basically planned for 20-30 years of computing needs as he saw it. It turned out to be a wise investment as that static workflow of his has helped make him very successful. The first PC is still going strong.

As before though there’s always the chance that a newer version of the software works on an older OS, it’s just that they’re not going to spend resources making it compatible if a problem pops up.

I didn’t say you have to “accept being officially duped”, I said that you being “duped” because older (or current) versions won’t get fixed in time has nothing to do with them no longer supporting Windows 7. If it happened before (it did) it would have happened again even if they supported Windows 7 for another 40 years. It’s just a mostly different issue.

Also, if this is a big deal then complain to Microsoft:

"Microsoft made a commitment to provide 10 years of product support for Windows 7 when it was released on October 22, 2009. When this 10-year period ends, Microsoft will discontinue Windows 7 support so that we can focus our investment on supporting newer technologies and great new experiences. The specific end of support day for Windows 7 will be January 14, 2020. After that, technical assistance and software updates from Windows Update that help protect your PC will no longer be available for the product. "

If a problem pops up with a new version of Nuendo on Windows 7, and the problem is that Windows 7 is different from Windows 10 and something needs to be fixed in it, what’s Steinberg to do? It can’t do anything, because the OS is no longer supported by the maker of the OS.

So imagine that Steinberg says it still supports products that run officially on Win 7 and they end up in that situation - how is that going to look and work out for Steinberg?

@fuzzydude… “bring back the like button!”…

:smiley: ditto!

Can a Steinberg employee please chime in here and tell us when Nuendo’s updates will actually be developed and tested against Windows 10 only. I see in the Cubase 10 forum that the next couple of Cubase 10.x updates will still be tested against Windows 7, 8 and 10. It stands to reason that Steinberg will treat Nuendo in a similar manner to Cubase. Can we expect the same amount of lead time to get our production machines over to Windows 10?

Here is the Cubase 10 thread on the same topic…

and Guillermo Navarrete states…

In beta testing, no difference is made between Win7 and Win 10 systems.
We have testers on all sorts of machines, and most of the time, a bug is a bug.

There is however technology in Win 10 which is completely different than in Win 7.
Which makes that some functions don’t work as well, work totaly different or don’t work at all in Win7.
So it’s a choice to use the new functions offered by Win 10 to make the application smarter, faster, easier, cheaper or not.
There is no point in wasting a lot of money, time and resources to make something work on an old, obsolete OS if it is available at no cost in the newer systems.

Fredo