Windows 8.1 Blue Screen of Death & Cubase Elements 7

Hello there! I’m a returning user to Cubase after some time. My laptop is a new Gateway w/ Realtek audio built in… 64 bit OS. Back when I got this thing for Christmas '13, I’d get, ONLY ONCE IN A BLUE MOON, Windows updated answer to blue screens: said blue screen w/ a frowny face saying ‘we’re sorry, but windows has run into a problem and needs to reboot. We’re collecting information; if you would like to view this online later, copy down this code’ - I’m paraphrasing of course, but that’s about it. Mostly, even back then, my error was ‘driver_irql_not_less_or_equal igdkmd64.sys’. I didn’t start getting blue screens again, and this time by the TONS, until I started using Cubase Elements 7. I have no ASIO audio interface… I’m using Windows ‘Genereic ASIO interface’… the Avid (formerly M-Audio?) interface I used to have, the Mobile Pre USB died a long time ago so I’ve not been using it, obviously. I had installed originally both the 32 & 64-bit versions of Cubase… I know, rather pointless & stupid since I’m running a 64 bit version of Windows. Whenever I’d open the 32-bit version, almost IMMEDIATELY, Windows would throw up a blue screen and the machine would restart.

Since I’ve uninstalled the 32-bit verison, the blue screens happen less frequently but still happen. I want to continue using Cubase, but at the same time I don’t want there to come a day when this chingado maquina won’t boot up.

And yes, I can hear all the Macintosh users laughing their damned heads off. I doubt I’d’ve had this much trouble out of a MAC, but I have to work w/ what I’ve got, unfortunately… no MACINTOSH nor Yamaha MOTIF XS for me…

igdkmd64.sys is an Intel graphics driver. What module is resulting in the blue screens you’re seeing now? (The detailed info will usually list the faulting module.)

Blue screens only occur as the result of device driver bugs or hardware failure (RAM, storage, etc.). If using a particular application results in blue screens, it’s because it’s triggering the faulty driver or device to do something it doesn’t normally do when you’re NOT running that application, giving the impression that the bug is in the program. The application’s really just exposing a bug or failure somewhere else.

If a driver (a SYS file) turns out to be the culprit you might be able to fix the problems by upgrading the driver or replacing the problem device.

Not ASIO compliant, use ASIO4All.

I don’t know what you mean when you talk about a ‘module’… and as for the detailed info… that’s all I get, a msg saying if I’m interested, that I can google said message later. I’ve also gotten a BSOD with an error about a ‘Bad Pool’, whatever this means.

and thanks for all the help so far, guys. Gump, I’ll try the ASIO4ALL solution.

I would closer at what Gateway computer updates of chipset are available.
And bios firmware stuff also of course.

Easy to forget these things.
I made at least 3-4 updates on this on each Dell computer I’ve had.
Even if I’ve had onboard audio disabled, there has been for this updates as well.

Then graphics driver.

thanks again, guys! ASIO4ALL seemed to work but when I went into ASIO4ALL control panel, it said the realtek speakers were beyond logic… so this basically means I’m screwed again. And as far as BIOS… with Windows 8.1, didn’t Microsoft do away with the BIOS? just curious…

thanks again for the help. I certainly will be checking to update drivers.

I haven’t seen a blue screen in years knock on wood. I would buy a new entry level audio sound interface for this PC, there are many to choose from nowadays, this will be much more stable than using the windows audio alone and then you could hook up a set of monitors. I don’t think cubase was designed for optimal use without a sound card.

I use one of my retired studio PC,s with no sound card , and cheap 2.1 Logitech speakers as a reference for mixing at 44,.1 16 bit and it’s a little buggy, random pops and odd behavior with just windows audio.

With today’s super-stability of Windows 7 and 8, a BSOD is triggered by faulty/incompatible/inadequate hardware in 99% of the cases (the infamous Stop 0x124.) A top-notch DAW like Cubase routed to internal audio is a recipe for disaster. Asio4All may get it working, but the hardware is still grossly inadequate and crashes are expected. Get a cheap USB interface. You can get a used/refurbished Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for less than $100.

Under Win 8.1, I find the solution to driver problems is often to just uninstall the drivers, reboot, and let Windows download what it sees fit. This way, it seems to just load up what is necessary, rather than the full bloatware of the ‘official’ drivers.

I have pulled an OS SSD out of one computer and inserted it into a totally new computer with completely different hardware (mb and graphics), and after Win 8.1 has downloaded the required drivers itself, the new computer has functioned without a hitch. But then, doing the same thing with a Vista HDD into a new motherboard a few ago went without a hitch too.