Windows Cakewalk doesn't start with Steinberg ASIO driver(s)

Dorico Pro 5.1 is running fine. Thank you so much, Steinberg. :slight_smile: Dorico is a dream come true.

But the “good old” Cakewalk (the latest version), doesn’t start with asioglld.dll (the older Steinberg “Generic Low Latency ASIO driver”) or asiobdin.dll (the new “Steinberg Built-in ASIO driver”, which I updated to version 1.0.6.18 – thanks, ULF [see Dorico 5.1 crash - #21 by Ulf]) installed. CW, when run, is just spinning endlessly while checking and checking the audio device setup. I need to kill the task using the Task Manager to get rid of this funny spinning guy.

When I rename asiobdin.dll and asioglld.dll in C:\Program Files\Steinberg\ASIO to for example asio*.dl- thus “disabling” them, Cakewalk starts (and runs) just fine (using the ASIO driver of my audio interface).

I’ve tried everything, but the above doesn’t change. Poor Cakewalk doesn’t love Steinberg’s ASIO driver(s). :wink:

I sure can always do this renaming when needing to use Cakewalk, not a big deal, but is there anything else that can be done so that Dorico Pro can always have asiobdin.dll available without my renaming ceremonies? :wink:

Thanks so much, everyone. :slight_smile: Appreciated.

Tapio

You need to tell your audio driver not to claim “exclusive control” of your sound card.

Done a long time ago, of course. But thanks, @Derrek. :slight_smile:

I find Cakewalk works perfectly with FlexASIO (as does Dorico)

Thank you so much, @Janus. :slight_smile:

Both Dorico and Cakewalk are starting and running fine also using the ASIO driver of my audio interface. I only thought that using Steinberg’s driver is somehow much preferred. Maybe I just go on using what already works. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Actually no, Steinberg’s drivers (both, Generic Low Latency ASIO driver & Steinberg Built-in ASIO driver) are not preferred. The newer Steinberg Built-in ASIO driver will eventually replace completely the Generic Low Latency ASIO driver.
But even the Steinberg Built-in ASIO driver does not claim to be the best driver that is always to be used. It is also a generic driver and will work acceptably well with any audio device, so you will (almost) always get sound out to your ears with that driver.
If you have an audio device with a dedicated ASIO driver, then it is always the preferred choice. Because these drivers can use their knowledge of the hardware to get the best performance out, and that is what you want.

1 Like

Thank you ever so much, @Ulf. :slightly_smiling_face: Non-existing problem solved. :sweat_smile:

1 Like