Wish for MIDI remote

Using Legacy Generic Remote I can configure a control change message to do 3 things with the same control (button):

• toggle a button
  • set a button always ON
  • set a button always OFF

This is possible in Generic Remote using the flags B (Button) and A (Alternate).
I use these functions mainly for:

• Pre/Post Roll
  • Punch in/out
  • Metronome
  • Pre-count
  • Cycle

The new Midi Remote can toggle these buttons, but it cannot set them to always ON or always OFF.

I want to ask to Steinberg to adding a functionality like flags for the Midi Remote to set buttons always On or Off, or adding key commands for set these controls to On/off and not only toggle.

Thanks.

1 Like

It would absolutely make sense to allow/implement separate on and off commands in cubase for EVERY function that is currently only available only via “toggle”. The reason: Only separate “on” and “off” commands (or equal things from a logical standpoint like: Focus, etc.!) allow for STATELESS control over the corresponding object/action.

Fully agree.

A professional DAW like Cubase should have key commands for toggle/on/off every important control.

Hope we can see an update of these controls in Cubase 12 or 13.

Yes you get full control on setting the values, you can read and manipulate them too using custom variables and triggers.

You may also be able to do this in the surface editor too, Have you tried changing the value mode and min/max values to suit your requirements? :

1 Like

Hi @skijumptoes and thanks again for your help. I will check asap and deeply in the direction that you are telling me. I will be back to you with my comments.

Thanks thanks thanks and 1 milion thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

A little off subject but this is very handy for those delicate things like controlling the level outputs of the control room with an encoder ,allowing the encoder to only work between certain values , saves blowing you eardrums off by restricting the max output :wink:

2 Likes

Hi again @skijumptoes

Yesterday I was tweaking the Midi Remote and you are right. It’s very easy to configure “always on/always off/toggle” using the “min and max %” and “value mode: toggle/jump”. Thanks again!

The Legacy Generic Remote have a text field, where user can type any description. Is it possible to add a label or edit the labels in the surface of Midi Remote? I don’t find any option to type text descriptions. Maybe is it only possible with theAPI?

I don’t think I’ve seen the option to do that, either. In the API you can create labels and link them to controls so they dynamically update., but not tried to create fixed text labels as not had the need to yet.

What kind of labels did you want? Just ones with fixed text?

Yes, a fixed test it’s enough.

For example, I want three buttons for 3 Cycle actions, with the following names:

• Toggle Cycle
  • Cycle On
  • Cycle Off