Wish: rectangular note heads

It astonish me that Dorico has no rectangular note heads. Many composers use them for clusters. Could they be supplemented in one of the next versions?
Bildschirmfoto 2017-03-23 um 12.59.04.png

We have plans to introduce proper features for cluster notation, to be able to convert any existing chord into a properly notated cluster, and potentially even to be able to notate a series of clusters as a polygonal shape that spans a period of rhythmic time. However, it’s unlikely that we will get to this in the near future. My reluctance to simply add rectangular noteheads stems from the fact that we do have plans to achieve cluster notation using a true semantic approach, and putting in rectangular noteheads seems like a bit of a workaround in the meantime. The other side of that, of course, is that without the workaround, you simply can’t achieve the notation at all…

With that in mind, here is a Dorico project that includes a ‘Cluster Noteheads’ notehead type. I’m afraid it’s not easy to extract this and add it to your existing project, but you should be able to copy and paste your music into a project based on this one and use the cluster noteheads in there.
clusters.dorico.zip (61.5 KB)

Thank you very much! The workaround is great! Many of my piano compositions are using cluster. Now I’m able to finish them with Dorico!

And glad to hear what are your ideas of clusters in future versions of Dorico!

I am very happy with Dorico 1.1, but this is a pity that the cluster noteheads are not added!

Thank you Daniel for the project with clusters, it allowed me to fulfill a work. I am looking forward for this to be (beautifully) implemented — as well as full notation for string harmonics — and I know it is somewhere on the roadmap !

+1 here
I used a similar hack for round breve notehead (found on this forum), but I need the cluster notation in the same project…

Dear Daniel, I’d love to see the Attachment (it shows as 404) :wink:

I don’t think you should need this. This cluster notation has been supported at least since v. 3 IIRC. Right-click the notehead and explore the notehead set options, I am pretty sure you’ll find the solution.