WK-Audio ID Control, Mix etc in Big Sur

Hi, I do not have the ID-control any more, but a friend asked for help to get it working in Big Sur. The installer available from Steinberg download site do not work in Big Sur any longer. So I made a manual way of installing it.

Please download this zip file:
id_manual_install.zip (99.7 KB)
Unzip it and place the following files at the following folders (use Finder to copy the files)

Place the file IdUsbFwLoaderDriver.kext into the folder /Library/Extensions/
Place the file IdUSBMIDIDriver.plugin into the folder /Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/
You will need to authenticate as an admin user when copying the files.

Now we need to execute two commands from the terminal. Please execute them in the order listed here:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Audio/MIDI\ Drivers/IdUSBMIDIDriver.plugin
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions/IdUsbFwLoaderDriver.kext

After a couple of seconds Big Sur will ask you to approve the driver. Go to system preferences, security and privacy and approve the kext there. Then restart at once as Big Sur asks you to.
After the reboot we need to initialize the midi driver. Start a Midi aware app, like Cubendo, then you need to go back to security and privacy and approve the driver.
Restart again and the ID Control should work like before!

This should even be possible on M1 mac (not tested). But as usual to run unsupported drivers on an M1, you will need to go into recovery console first to enable support for it. How todo that can be read all over the internet. For example on RMEs web site.

Hope this helps the few ID users left out there!

Best,
Pål Svennevig

1 Like

@steinberg support:

Any chance of getting a re-compile of the WK ID driver with arm64 blob in the binary?

+1

Please I need it as well, also a studio in Stavanger as well.

cheers Helge

Works in Sonoma on macpro 5.1 and off coarse in Big sur. But not in Catalina!
Any idea what´s different in Catalina?
I know things are because my FW TC konnekt 48 works in Catalina (exept for the software controller app) but in Big Sur and all the later OS:s only audio input works. Explaining that just because it´s a huge difference in Catalina.

Are you talking about the ID Control here?
If so, Yes it still works with Intel macs. But not with Apple Silicon aka M1 and its likes.

I now actually got the ID controller working in Catalina. After re- installing the OS and removing the kext and midi plug first and then copying them again and entering both command lines the ID midi port finally showed up. After reboot!
Now I just need to find info of how to get my ID-mix faders to wake up. They are totally dead but everything else works perfectly on the ID-mix.

The rest of my former comment was about my audio interface and its different behavior in Catalina vs in Big Sur. Mentioned that as an example. Sorry if that confused things.

1 Like