WL11 WAV saving as text files

this is weird and not great… when i SAVE AS a new audio file and select “current file” and format “wav default”… the resulting save is a text file… and if i close that audio file… the audio is gone forever… replaced by the useless text file.

what’s going on!? i’ve lost a bunch of work today…

some more experimenting here. definitely the first time i try to save a WAV it saves as a txt file.

so, before closing the file i saved as an AIFF… and that worked fine, then i saved as a WAV again and that time it worked OK…

but it seems the first save saves as a text file…

back to 10 i go!

How do you exactly proceed to save a file? Can you verify the settings in the file format dialog?
I have never been reported this case, and this is obviously a common function.

Is the data actually text or just the extension.

the data was actually text… and the file size tiny…

yes, for sure something you didn’t fail to check! :slight_smile: but, i’m saving the same way i have for years…

audio file open… shift-S to save… “current file” selected (not “project”) format = Wav default

it also only seems to happen with a newly created file (in my case, a file recorded into WaveLab… it doesn’t happen if i open a WAV and re-save it… only a file that hasn’t been saved yet)

i’m on an iMac running Catalina.

Maybe I was misled when you said “save is a text file”. Indeed, there is a bug, which is simply that the .wav extension is not added to the filename. But the file created is not text, this is normal .wav contents. See workaround here:

ah, let me look into that! thanks… when i opened the file it opened in a text editor with strange text, which is why i assume it was a “text file”… and i will double check the file size again…

today on my next job i will go back to 11 and go through my usual steps to test again, and then add the .wav extension to see if it fixes.