WL12 Frequent crashes after most recent update

WL12 is frequently crashing when opening a montage. This is with the plugin warm-up disabled. What are the error codes below saying is happening? This program seems to be getting less and less stable. I definitely had fewer crashes in WL11 on the same system with the same plugins, and less crashes on the previous build of WL12. It would be very helpful if there was an option to revert to a previous release version of WL12 which nearly every other software company allows, except there’s no way to do that on WL?
PC win10pro w latest updates. Lynx AES16e PCIe
Thank you for your help.

[ 18440.092 / 12676 W Log.Project] initFor FileGroupFromKey
[ 18440.093 / 12676 W Log.Project] initFor FileGroupFromKey

Not really true. You can uninstall WL12 and then install a previous build.

Where do I find the previous build? The update was installed with the installation manager so there isn’t a file for the previous install?

The only install version of the program available is the most recent version, which I’m unfortunately experience new crashing issues with.

Maybe you use video in your montage? If this is the case, try without.

In that case, you’re right, unfortunately Steinberg doesn’t cater for rolling back when using Steinberg Download Assistant…

Hi PG, I’m not using any video, I do audio mastering only. This seems to be possibly related to a memory buffer of some sort. It crashes while loading plugins saved in the montage, a montage that has been successfully loaded many times will cause the program to crash near the end of loading the plugin chain for that montage.

Is there anywhere that the previous build’s install files can be found? Can someone send me a link please? I wasn’t experiencing this issue until the most recent update. I was under the impression that using the installation manager was the only way to update. Had I known I would be able to revert to the previous build if installing another way I would have surely done that.

The only thing I’ve discovered so far is that the plugin-warmup feature may be related to this issue and when enabled instantly causes problems loading plugins. Unfortunately I’m still having lots of crashes now even with it turned off. Thanks

Did you try this to open your montage?

I have not tried safe mode, since the same montage will usually open once I restart the program. It doesn’t not open the montage, it crashes the program. Upon reopening the program it will open the montage without crashing most of the time. Sometimes I will have to restart the program a few times. I can not identify any other variables that are changing with it loading correctly vs crashing. Nothing else is running on this computer when I use WL. I tip toe around the program and am very careful to only launch one process at a time, I stop playback when opening a new montage, I stop playback when enabling and loading plugs to a montage. I’ve been using WL for decades as my main DAW (since it was released in '95) and it has been less stable since version 10 was released. Before WL10 it was unquestionably reliable. These days I can not get through a single day of mastering without multiple crashes and errors telling me files are opened when they are not. Restarting the program often is eating up lots of valuable time reloading the montages and is interrupting the flow of my work. I really hope there is a way to get a stable build of this program so I can keep using it. I use other programs on this same computer with the same plugins and experience no issues or crashes so I know it’s possible.

Under Windows, you can generate one crash dump from WaveLab if you do so:
While pressing the Alternate key (press first and maintain), select “Global preferences” from the WaveLab menu with the mouse.
In that case, there is a new tab called “Diagnostics”. There you can activate several functions.
Activate the option “Enable crash report”. Quit and relaunch WaveLab.
If a crash happens, one crash dump is generated and a dialog proposes to save it.

With such a crash dump, there is a chance to know the origin of the problem (99% of the time, this is a plugin, but the crash dump usually pinpoints to that plugin).

Thanks PG, I’ll try this. Is there any way you can send a link to download the previous build of WL12 in case that ends up being the only solution?

I will ask Steinberg. I doubt this would solve anything.

Thank you, re installing the previous build would allow me to work without the program crashing as often which would be very helpful.

It looks like I already have error logging enabled. These are the most recent logs:

[ 18440.092 / 12676 W Log.Project] initFor FileGroupFromKey
[ 18440.093 / 12676 W Log.Project] initFor FileGroupFromKey

How do I see the information of which plugin caused the crash?

What does the “error logging level” number change?

Thanks

This is the only thing you need to check.