WL7 CPU usage in 64 bit (Mac)

So I have a problem with CPU usage on my Macbook Pro. Starting WL7 in 32-bit mode, no files open and no plugins, uses about 13% CPU, which I think is fine.

Starting WL7 in 64-bit mode, same as above, CPU is about 35%. With a file open, no plugins, CPU usage creeps swiftly up to 80% and stays there. Really annoying, as the fan then spins up to keep the machine cool.

I’m using the internal audio only, and buffer size is 1024 samples (the buffer size seems to make no difference at all).

Any ideas what’s going on, or anything I might be able to check? I already cleared the preferences and restarted.

I have Cubase 6.5 on the same machine. It runs with exactly the same processor load whether I’m running in 32 or 64 bit.

My specs are Wavelab 7.2.1 (build 600). Macbook Pro is a late 2011 15", OSX Lion 10.7.4, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM.

‘About Wavelab’ says “Session optimized for CPU: Unknown CPU (y8)” when running in 32 or 64 bit modes.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Here my observations for comparison:
I run WL 7 on a MacBook Pro, Model End 2008, 2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.7.4, use internal audio output, buffer size 256 Samples.

Starting WaveLab in 32 bit mode:

1. When WL is idle (no file open, no Plug-In), the CPU usage is between 9,4 % and 10 % CPU.
  2. Opening a short audio file (AIF, 44,1 kHz, 16 Bit, 20 seconds duration) the CPU usage increases to about 35 % and then goes back to the 9 - 10 %.
  3. Playback of this file without Plug-In increases CPU usage to 34 % to 37 %, when playback stopps CPU usage goes back to 12 %.
  4. Playback of the file with one Plug-In (built in Limiter, factory preset “Mastering - Light Peak Limiting”) increases CPU load to 47 % to 49 % during playback, when playback stopps CPU usage returns to about 12 %.
    In 32 bit mode I can’t notice a significant increase of CPU temperature.

Starting WaveLab in 64 bit mode and doing the above described:

1. WL idle = 91 % CPU usage
  2. Opening AIF file without Plug-Ins and playback = 91 % CPU usage
  3. Playback without Plug-In = 93 % during playback, then returns to 89 % to 92 %
  4. Playback with Limiter (same preset as above) = a little bit above 96 % during playback, after stopping playback = 91 % to 93 %.
    In 64 bit mode the CPU gets very hot within a relative short time and the fans start spinning.

Changing buffer size to 1.024 samples doesn’t make any difference to the above mentioned CPU usage values.
In “About Wavelab” I get “Unknown CPU (p8)” in 32 and 64 bit mode.

I think there is a lot space for code optimization.

Hi Kaffeepause, glad it’s not just me!

Sounds like we have quite different CPUs, but we’re both Lion 10.7.4. Would any other users on 10.7.4 be able to post their CPU usage stats, comparing 32 bit with 64 bit, please?

If it’s a problem with the OS version, then that’s one thing to tackle, but if others have the same massive CPU load in 64 bit only, then maybe we can talk to Steinberg about it as a fix that’s needed.

Thanks!!!

I see the same thing on my 2.33gHz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro. Just opening up WL7Elements I get ~23% CPU usage in 32 bit mode and over 90% in 64 bit mode. Busy looping and doing a whole lot of nothing, so far as I can tell.

I am using a TASCAM US-200 interface. But I doubt that would have much to do with it.

+1

Bumping this.

Why is it a problem for you?

Gee, I don’t know, maybe because WL7 32bit is running more efficiently than running it as 64bit application under OS X 10.7 - 10.8.3. I am running into the same issues as my fellow Mac users above.

This was reported back in August 2012 and this issue has not been fixed, nor has it been acknowledged. Until now.

Busy-waiting is never good. It means that the program is less efficient in the critical paths as well as the non-critical paths. If I just launch WaveLab and don’t open a file or load a plug-in I get the CPU usages reported above–no matter how long I let it idle. That’s a bug. An idle program should use ~0 CPU.

Bump.

Still nothing?

Last bump.

Phillippe when will there be an update for Wavelab 7 to resolve the CPU issue we Mac users are experiencing when using W7 as a 64bit app?

Thanks.

There is no WaveLab 7 planned update. And again, this CPU thing does not affect the performance of WaveLab.

Phillippe-

You are wrong/willfully blind. Wavelab 7 as a 64bit app under OS X 10.8.3 is a CPU nightmare. W7 runs my CPU at 75% with no other app/processes running - this includes NO PLUGINS loaded in W7.

And when plugs are loaded W7 overheats my Mac and W7 starts slowing down.

If you were counting on Mac users to spend $99 on a bugfix (W8) count me out, especially with your poor attitude towards supporting your product.

I have been successful in turning other named artists onto other products and will continue to do so.

I look toward to what Yamaha will have to say on the matter.

Ooowh a threat: PG, you better give in soon! Talk about poor attitude… :unamused: