WL7 Redbook and older CD Players

So, I created an Audio Montage from a second cassette recording, but one which was a continuous story and did not need pauses between tracks and burned a new CD. I handed it to my wife for her to listen, and she tried to play it on her HP Pavillion Slimline s3220n PC. It played the first track, then threw an error that it could not read the disk.

The manual for the PC stated the following:
Optical drive type
SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology
Optical drive speed
LightScribe Technology 16x DVD±R, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+R DL, 8x DVD-R DL, 12x DVD-RAM, 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CDR, 32x CDRW, 40x CD-ROM

We then tried the Kenwood DPM6640 CD Changer (1992), again the first track played then stopped.

Thinking it might be the CD-Text, I created a Basic Audio CD and tried it, same result, play first track then stop/error.
I tried both CDs in my 2010 Buick LaCrosse player and they worked just fine. I’m creating them with my 2011 PC with a recent CD/DVD burner (HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH10LS30), Windows 7

The CDs are burned at 24x (WL choices are 24x, 32x, 40x). What am I doing wrong that is preventing these CDs from playing on other, older players?

Because I didn’t need a pause between tracks, I used the track split marker instead of the Start/End pairs. Should that make a difference? Should they be converted into Start markers?

My wife reported that her new Adele CDs would not play on the s3220n either, however her new DVD did. I tried both the Realtek and Windows Media player on the s3220n (Windows Vista).

Also, both times I attempted to convert the 24/96 Audio Files using the recommended Crystal Resampler/Peak Master/UV220HR plug-ins the resulting file was not 16/44 even though UV22HR was set to 16 bit High and Crystal to 44.1 kHz HI. I had to ‘save/export’ the files to 16 bit to convert them - something I really didn’t want to do. Why won’t the rendering do the conversion?

What should I be doing to assure that the CDs produced will work with 20 year old players?

Any enlightenment on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks!

No, split markers are combined End and Start markers, so that wouldn’t make a difference. If the wizard in WL says the CD is OK, it should play in all players. The only thing left is the CD-media used. Not sure if it should still make a difference these days, but I always use Taiyo Yuden made CD-R for masters, and TDK or other ‘real’ brand media for other burns.

Because Wavelab does nothing behind your back. If you convert audio to 16/44, the resulting temporary file will be that in WL and then has to be saved as that by the user. If you save directly as named file, you have to define the resulting file’s properties - even though you already defined the properties of the conversion.