Wondering what Cubase offers for guitar practice?

I use Cubase in several ways to practice…
Several of these examples are more technique related than theory related but I thought I would mention them.

Practice Improvisation in multiple keys quickly. I have built a few projects with VSTi drums, bass, keys and rhythm guitar. Each one has it’s own “style” such as a jazz fusion, Rock, Blues, etc. The Chord Track is fully defined and the guitar, bass, and keys follow the chord track. Then I can quickly change the chord progressions via the Chord Track and practice improvisation over those chords and modes. I posted one a while back. Here is the thread…

Slowing down my favorite solos for both learning and practicing to get it up to speed. I just import the song, and use the time stretch to slow the solo down without the pitch changing. Then gradually speed the solo back up a little at a time as I play along with it.

I also have Guitar Pro, which is kind of useful because on some Guitar Tab websites there are fully transcribed songs including drums bass guitar, etc., but of course they don’t really sound very good. So I export the song from GP to MIDI, import it into Cubase, and then I have complete control of practicing. I can speed up, slow down, or skip sections, mute instruments or raise their level, etc. It is even fun to sometimes edit the MIDI for the instruments to make them sound more realistic by adding articulations and changing note velocities, lengths etc., and use a better VST Instrument such as the Scarbee Basses in Kontakt or HALion 6 for synth sounds. I then re-record the guitars with my own playing. I have done a couple songs where I just try to see how close I can get my version to sound like the real thing. Of course the Guitar Pro isn’t needed to do this. You just need a MIDI file of the song. I just found that there are a lot of songs transcribed to Guitar Pro available online.

I even have a project saved with just some different time signature and metronome patterns to practice different alternate picking exercises. For example, a 5/4 pattern to practice a 3 note on a string then 2 notes on the next string repeating pattern that can be gradually sped up. 7/4 works great because there are 7 notes in the scale before repeats AND harmonic minor can have 3 notes on a string then 4 notes on the next and so on for three octaves.

I hope this helps but IMO Cubase can be very helpful for practicing.

1 Like