(Woodwind) fingering charts

Hi,
I realise that Dorico does not provide functionality for inputting fingering charts and these need to be added as graphics.
So basically, as I understand, they are added in Engrave-> Insert frame → Insert graphic frame.
The problem I am finding is that because many charts (such as the flute charts I am currently working on) take up a lot of vertical space, creating extra space manually by moving staves down messes up the layout of the other staves considerably as it does not create a natural page break so staves pile up at the bottom of the page.
So basically, my question is - what is the best way to manage these kind of graphics?
Thanks,
Peter

Try defining custom playing techniques that utilise these graphics. If you have lots of them you’ll want to devise some sort of naming (and popover-text) system.

With Playing Techniques you should find that Dorico casts off around them (subject to the usual caveat that the top staff on a page is a set distance from the edge of the frame). The big advantage is that Playing Techniques are locked to a rhythmic position on a stave, so if the stave moves, the Playing Technique moves. Graphic Frames are locked to coordinates on a page, and have no understanding of what surrounds them!

There are also some fonts that include basically all the iterations.

Thanks for that. Are there any specifications for pixel no, size etc.? The quality of every image file I try (jpg and png) is abysmal as it needs to be reduced in size in the playing techniques editor.

You need to use SVGs. They’re vectors and don’t pixelate.

Use something like this to convert images to SVGs: Free SVG Converter (picsvg.com)

Beyond that, you’d need something like Affinity Designer to create exactly the glyphs you want.

Oof. I’ve never looked into it sufficiently to be able to give you that information, but I’ve noticed that (when I have needed to use PNGs) they’ve generally come in huge. Typically I’ll end up typing values into the X and Y scale fields in the region of 5-10%.

If there’s a way of generating them as SVGs rather than JPGs/PNGs then they’ll scale perfectly.

Thanks a lot, that did the job.

Because there are so many possible charts (100s) the only feasible way to do this it seems is to create one template chart (with all holes uncovered) to use as the default chart in the playing styles and to export the finished score to svg to then colour in the necessary parts of the chart in inkscape. Time-consuming but I’m grateful it’s at least possible to input the template graphic at “write” stage using the playing style popover!

Please excuse my ineptitude: I am trying to attach a fingering chart for an oboe, using the ideas in this thread. I have the chart as an SVG file which I have managed to import into a new Playing Technique. When I try to edit the image, there is a large squared canvas, that has the image in it, but I have no idea what to do with the editor: it seems utterly opaque. When I try to add the PT, I get a large overlay over the staves, even though the graphic file is indeed there. Any hints gratefully received.

If I understand you, I’m assuming the “chart” consists of multiple examples of different fingerings. You need to break this down into separate fingerings. Then, you can make each one into a playing technique. You’ll need software to edit SVG graphics - do a google search for your OS.