Word clock

Hi, can someone tell me which is better?
I have an AXR and a focusrite connected by Adat and I don’t know if the word clock is better to put it in internal or in adat as master

Focusrite… what? Preamp?
Make the AXR the master.

Hi st10ss is a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
but I ask why putting internal in the AXR has small noises (not very exaggerated but audible) that when I put Adat they don’t sound … but this is because through the adat I am listening to the output of windows (youtube, spotify… etc) because if I put it through the yamaha driver the reproduction is cut off and through adat it does not happen.
So the tour is windows-focusrite and via adat to AXR4.
My question is because I suppose AXR’s word clock should be better than Adat… but I’m not sure.
I’m sorry because my English is not good.
Thanks for your answer

Hi st10ss is a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
but I ask why putting internal in the AXR has small noises (not very exaggerated but audible) that when I put Adat they don’t sound … but this is because through the adat I am listening to the output of windows (youtube, spotify… etc) because if I put it through the yamaha driver the reproduction is cut off and through adat it does not happen.
So the tour is windows-focusrite and via adat to AXR4.
My question is because I suppose AXR’s word clock should be better than Adat… but I’m not sure.
I’m sorry because my English is not good.
Thanks for your answer

it’s not entirely clear how you are connecting everything - as you seem to be using two different audio interfaces but the rule is:

Internal clock is ALWAYS better*
BUT…
If you are transferring data digitally then all the devices need to be synced to the same clock and there can only be ONE master clock. Either via an external wordclock or synced via the embedded clock in the MADI/ADAT lightpipe/AES/SPDif datastream (makes no difference which). Additionally the audio devices need to be told where to ‘listen’ to the clock (usually in the driver settings)

In your instance you need to work out which device is actually doing the A/D conversion and use that, as the conversion will have less jitter. Once audio is digitised and correctly clocked then the quality is ‘fixed’ and the DAW won’t care about INPUT jitter and the data will be reclocked when it’s converted back to analog.

I’m not clear which unit you are using as an output - but either way I’d rather get the highest quality recorded into the DAW and worry about the monitoring later. Again the D/A conversion is best when clocked internally but if you are using different devices for A/D and D/A then something has to give.

*(in 99.9999% percent of cases)

1 Like

Ok, the Focusrite needs both ADAT/SPDIF connections, input, and output from the AXR4.
If you set the clock to internal, the AXR4 is the clock master and needs to deliver the clock to the Focusrite, but the Scarletts have no clock input other than the ADAT or S/PDIF.
Additionally, you need to set the Focusrite to read it’s clock from the right input.

Of course you can set the clock source to Focusrite and use a 50 OHM BNC cable to send the word clock to the AXR4, but then you will not be able to change the clock in the computer.
It will always follow the clock set in the Focusrite. This can lead to problems.

1 Like

THi st10ss and Dr. Strangelove
Thank you very much for your quick responses
Actually, my first problem was that when I connected the AXR for the first time, the Windows audio sounded without these noises and clicks, but for some reason the unknown yamaha-steinberg driver jumped (it connected or disconnected), that’s when I tried to send the audio Windows to Focusrite and send it to the AXR via ADAT (Focusrite output Adat-AXR input Adat) and discovered that putting the AXR clock in internal mode produced small clicks, however putting the AXR clock in Adat mode did not. …hence my question…I still don’t know if it is a compatibility problem, in fact this afternoon I tried Yamaha Steinberg V2.1.5 USB Controller since the one that came by default was V2.1.3 but things got worse because yesterday Cubase 12 with a project with a lot of load worked without problem when changing to 2.1.5 the audio began to stop in Cubase too…so tomorrow…that today is late for me…I’ll go back 2.1.3 and I’ll see what happens…I’ll tell you…thank you very much

If you need to nail down a setup, try the AXR without the Focusrite first.
If you got it working reliable, you can add the next level of complexity.

The Focusrite should not connect to the computer with USB in this setup. You only need to connect it with SPDIF and/or ADAT.

Again, I’m not entirely sure what you are trying to achieve using two different audio interfaces or how they are connected but random clicks suggest to me that the two different interfaces are not clocked together.

When you switch the AXR to ADAT mode it is probably getting it’s clock from the Focusrite which fixes the problem.

As implied by st10ss, Cubase needs to be told when it is getting an external clock that it can’t control (from the Focusrite). . . . . . .‘Normally’ Cubase is able to set the sample rate of the audio interface, but if the AXR is being clocked ‘externally’ from the Focusrite then Cubase can’t alter it and you need to let Cubase know that it’s clocked externally

hello friends…during today I did different tests that I tell you about…I tried as st10ss said in the simplest way, only axr plugged in via USB and the problems kept reproducing.Then I tried the AXR on a laptop and on another pc older than mine and the AXR behaved as it should, without cuts or noise in both cubase and windows… there I thought that the driver or the word clock were not the problem I am beginning to think that it is a problem with “Something” that is only on my PC. I tried removing a usb 3.1 extension and also removing Intel Turbo Boost (I read something out there that talked about possible problems with the yamaha-steinberg driver) I did this because they were differences that I could see with the naked eye differences between the laptop and the old computer with mine, but the problem is still there. I leave my motherboard here in case someone has had a similar problem … I think there is a compatibility problem, if I can’t solve it quickly, I will have no other option than to return the AXR and exchange it for another card, although I really like both the integration in Cubase and the preamps. My motherboard is MSI X99A SLI Plus (MS-7885) V 1.0 — 32 ram — I7 —Intel Turbo Boost…I found this reference that today I still haven’t had time to test, I’ll do it tomorrow…https://forums.steinberg.net/t /fix-audio-interruption-due-to-usb-error-is-detected-windows/742032

thank you very much for your answers

Hello st10ss and Dr Strangelove
I am writing to say that after talking to Joaquín Felipe García from Steinberg support, we quickly, efficiently and kindly solved the problem he had with the AXR, as he supposed it was a compatibility problem with the motherboard. (Intel boost and other energy things in lips)
I leave the link in case someone had the same or similar problem, the link is: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/es/articles/360008589880-Windows-cómo-configurar-y-optimizar-un-DAW-Digital-Audio-Workstation-?source=search&auth_token=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJhY2NvdW50X2lkIjoxMDQ2NDg1LCJ1c2VyX2lkIjozOTMyNTU5OTQyMTksInRpY2tldF9pZCI6NTU3NTg1LCJjaGFubmVsX2lkIjo2MywidHlwZSI6IlNFQVJDSCIsImV4cCI6MTY4NDU3MTYyOX0.3o83XSrfQ9UawXllfHP5ATBF6S0uw5dv1PGt1wMrSqQ
Many thanks to Felipe, st10ss and Dr.strangelove