Workaround for switching audio devices and restarting Dorico (macOS)

Hi everyone! I’ve been struggling (not only with Dorico) in macOS to work with multiple audio devices and specifically plugging them in and out while Dorico is in use. For example, at home I use an audio interface (Behringer UMC404HD) and on the go I generally use my Apple Airpods Pro. When leaving home, I’d unplug the Behringer, slip the laptop into my bag, to open it on the train and to get my Airpods to work with Dorico I’d need to restart Dorico to get them to pop up in the Device Setup menu. When coming home, I’d have to do the same, and there’s many more examples like it.

However, I recently discovered a great workaround on macOS. It’s called a multi-output device, and it can be created without any additional programs and comes in the box with macOS devices. Basically, what it does is create a new audio output device which allows you to output audio to multiple devices at the same time. Using this “device” in Dorico allows you to disconnect or reconnect devices that are part of this multi-device without Dorico having to restart to detect them, as macOS takes care of that in the background. Dorico will just always output to this software-device, even when none of the devices that are part of it are connected. Follow along to create a multi-output device:

1. Fully close Dorico if it’s open (cmd+Q)
  2. Connect all audio devices you want to work without having to restart Dorico when (dis)connecting them. Ex. your wireless headphones. The default audio output (laptop speakers or line-out) are included by default, don’t worry about that for now.
  3. Open “Audio MIDI Setup”, found in the Utilities folder in the default Applications folder
  4. In the window that opens, click the little plus in the bottom-left corner
  5. Select “Create Multi-Output Device”
    5b. Optionally, you can rename the device that’s now been added to the left-hand list by double-clicking the name.
  6. In the right-hand list (make sure your new Multi-Output Device is selected in the left-hand list), select all the outputs you generally use. In my case, this is my Behringer, my Airpods Pro and the Macbook Pro Speakers
  7. Open Dorico. Once loaded, go to the Edit menu and select “Device Setup…”.
  8. In the popup that opens, select your newly created Multi-Output Device.
  9. Now, using the default macOS sound menu in the top menu bar, you can switch between the audio devices you added to the Multi-Output Device, without having to restart Dorico. The sound will always work as long as the device you want to use is connected to your Mac, added to the Mutli-Output Device you created previously and the Multi-Output Device is selected in Dorico’s Device Setup.

That’s it! Although restarting Dorico doesn’t take a lot of time, it was a bit of a nuisance when working on the go and using my Airpods for both my phone as well as my laptop. Easily saves at least two restarts of Dorico to get to work.

2 Likes

Using an aggregate device is indeed the right way to do this, and this procedure is also described in our support centre here:

1 Like

This workaround isn’t working for me. Either Mac does not recognize AirPods as part of Multi-Output Device or Dorico does not list Multi-Output Device in ‘Device Setup’.

Hi @DMMusic , I’ve sent you a private message, please check.