Working with Multiple but not all Instruments

Dear People of Dorico Forums,

Okay so say you’re writing something for let’s say a choir in this case. However, you’re writing and you say hmmm this would sound better with a wind or string ensemble in the background but you don’t have access to either of those. This is why accompaniment tracks exist and this is where my dilemma comes into play. I would love to be able to export an mp3 file with only a certain amount of instruments and I would also love to be able to do the same when printing so the printed score isn’t cluttered from extra accompaniment parts.
My next thing is that I’d love to be able to see a score of a few instruments in write mode. This would be very helpful especially when writing for bigger ensembles. These may already be features and I’ve just skipped over them, let me know if that’s the case please. If these are not features already I would absolutely love to see this added.

Thanks in Advance,
Ian Hook

Hi Ian

You can do this by creating new score layouts with only the players that you want. This video explains it pretty well. How to Create Custom Layouts | Setup Mode in Dorico - YouTube

Exporting mp3s from this is more awkward: you have to make sure that the (score) layout you want to export from is at the top of the list in the RH panel in Setup mode. Then the Export Audio function will work on that score and not the full score. Alternatively, if you’re familiar with DAWs you can export each player as a separate stem from the full score and mix/edit/bounce to your heart’s content.

1 Like

James,

Wow! Thank you so much, I never really thought about it being as simple as just a custom layout! Also I’ll look into the mp3 export, If I’m having trouble with it, I’ll definitely say so.

Thanks so much once again,
Ian Hook

I’m glad I found this thread, because I have a custom layout being a vocal score, which contains only voices and piano, and I need to create a rehearsal audio file. My first shot (before I read this thread) created an mp3 of all the orchestral instruments and the rehearsal piano, so (after reading the thread) I moved my custom layout to the top of the RH list in Setup mode, but the result was the same. Is there a further step I need to take?

Exporting audio uses the highest-placed full score layout - a custom score won’t affect this. So for export purposes, create a full score layout to which only the players you want to export audio of are assigned.

1 Like

Will do - many thanks once again, Lillie.