working with orchestra scores

see the list of players on the setup pg on the left and the layouts on the right for the full score and the individual parts.

1. how do I isolate a part layout and replace it in the display so that I can go the write mode and work on it
    separate from the score (often parts contain things not in the full score)? do I need to make a new layout separate from the one for he part made automatically by dorico if it contains information separate from the score (I assume yes)?
  2. how do I export an individual part as a pdf to send to the orchestra librarian?

found the graphics pdf export under print. logical. but still do not know how to isolate a part layout, edit it separately and print it.

aha. when I choose a new tab and select an individual instrument, it displays all of the instruments. I suspected that this was because of the work as an xml import. to verify this I started a new duo, selected one of the players in a new tab and it displayed perfectly. so, the problem is the xml import (which many of us have been suffering with, caught in the middle of works in old apps and trying to import them).
I couldn’t change the stem direction in this xml file but chose remove stem commands and then up or down worked.
would anyone know of a work around to reset and override xml commands that are messing this up?

still working with xml orchestra file. all of the imported layouts of the instruments have all of the instruments. I have to manually remove ALL but the player in question one by one (this in tedious because the program will not allow be to do it in one sweep but must do it one at a time and wait on the computer to do its thing). when all but the player in question is there I can load it as a new tab and see and edit the individual file. oh well, better than recopying the 21 pgs that I imported (I think).

good news: when I will be starting a new large ensemble work in dorico from scratch (from I see from the edited xml so far) it is going to be really nice.

Hi !

It is quite interesting… maybe it could be more interesting to know which program created your faulty XML file — so that developers can fix that XML behaviour ?
Tab method is the way to go, I am glad you found it. When everything is in order (Dorico from scratch) it really makes sense, everything being so logical.
There has been a discussion about a procedure to do each time you import an XML file in order to really reset appearance. I hope i can find it a post the thread here.
[edit] Respell bug? - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

It might be quicker to just delete these layouts and create new ones, instead of deleting all the instruments except one from each layout. But be careful if Dorico asks if you also want to delete FLOWS when you delete a layout. Unless you really want to delete some of the music you imported, the answer is NO!

I always keep the full score layout intact just to make sure I preserve all the instruments somewhere in case I uncheck the wrong box somewhere else. I even add a piano reduction to the full score (if I will need one later, for piano/vocal scores or the like) and create a separate conductor layout to be the printed full score.

I am amazed how “camera ready” (or more likely “librarian ready”) are compared to sibelius. I completed a 35 minute work for orchestra and chorus last year in sibelius and there was a LOT of playing around with the final individual parts before going out, and in the course of a work this large if the parts can be almost done saves a lot of grunge-work time.

If you’re finding in general that all of your part layouts contain all of the instruments, then it sounds as if you’ve got a problem with your default layout options, as the result of a bug in earlier builds of Dorico. If you’re on Windows, open Windows Explorer and type (or copy and paste) %APPDATA%\Steinberg\Dorico into the address bar. If you’re on Mac, in the Finder choose Go > Go to Folder, then type (or copy and paste) ~/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico (including the ~ tilde character) and click Go.

Now you’ll see a bunch of files: find the ones called layoutOptions… and delete them. This will reset your layout options back to their defaults, so in new projects part layouts will only get a single player assigned to them, which is a more useful default.

that did it. thank you once again.

question about changing instruments:

1. percussion I player several instruments
  2. percussion II player several different instruments

each is listed at the beginning as perc I and perc II respectively
how do I insert each instrument into each players part as it is needed?
sometimes this might involve a 5 line staff tuned percussion (marimba)
sometimes it might be a single line tom
what if one player is playing several differently tuned toms at once?

I am just not sure how to do this? do I load all of the instruments into a player at the beginning and then somehow call them up as needed and the sound and staff size will change as inserted (a la sibelius?)

Dorico doesn’t support multiple percussion instruments played together and written on one stave yet, so don’t waste time trying to get that to work!

For other doubling instruments (e.g. flute/piccolo), you set up a single Player containing the two Instruments. In Write mode and Galley view, you see two staves for the two instruments. Just write the music on the appropriate stave. In Page view, and Engrave mode, Dorico automatically merges the music onto one stave with clef and transposition changes if necessary, and adds instructions like “To flute” / “To picc.” etc.

Have a look on the attached file…

Have a look on:
Setup…
…add instrument to player

also
in Page view and Galley view

You must understand.

it works to have one player play two tenor drums for example by choosing the two instruments and it places them on two separate staves. takes up a lot of room in an orchestra score but what we have or the moment (i dorico christmas around the corner with surprises? whose dreams will be fullfilled and who will have to wait)?

also and particularly when working in galley mode to add music to an alternate instrument dorico is painfully slow to the point of not been usable; although this has been addressed, errant code found and improvements coming.

For other doubling instruments (e.g. flute/piccolo), you set up a single Player containing the two Instruments. In Write mode and Galley view, you see two staves for the two instruments. Just write the music on the appropriate stave. In Page view, and Engrave mode, Dorico automatically merges the music onto one stave with clef and transposition changes if necessary, and adds instructions like “To flute” / “To picc.” etc.[/quote]

OK, so I must have done something wrong. I have one player with two instruments and ALL modes and views show two staves. No merging is occurring. Any ideas?

If you have somehow created notes that play simultaneously in both instruments, then both staves will be displayed.

Apart from that, I can’t guess what went wrong, but if it helps here’s a (very small) score that works for me, with no default settings changed.
Flute and Picc.zip (304 KB)