Wow-i may be new to all this but some simple things are not intuitive

is there a way to colorize what you paste into the track. i tried to change my selection color and can barely see it.
but having a contrasting pasted content would be very helpful.

Screenshot 2022-06-05 122119

i know i messed with those in v11 and screwed the colors all up.
what are the steps to colorize your selections, then differently colorize your pasted content?
in v12 i have a chance to do it off defaults.

Also tooltips give more info on options for those buttons
Screenshot 2022-06-05 170414
Just select the event/part you want, then choose the colour.
I suggest you open a new project and just practise some of this stuff.

“select event/part”?
so if i use the range tool or any selection method, it will allow me to coloeize the selected area?
will the selection tool remain with the new color or just the selected part(s).
i assume that you can do multiple selections right?

Cut the track select left mouse , use alt and left mouse and drag the track to the new location , this will copy it . Set curser to bars and locate at the start of the part location you want to insert before dragging.

thanks for that. however, i need to “select in loop” because i loop and tweak the right /left locators (while listening) until i hear the start/end points i want to copy.
then i “select in loop” and usually see the selection.
then ctrl-c and put cursor in the destination track and ctrl-v .(I’ve tried the various Paste options under the edit drop down - range functions, etc) but no luck.
but it doesn’t work.
is there anything I am doing wrong here?

Try this
Step 1 - Make your loop selection.

Step 2 - Use split loop function.

Step 3 - Select and copy

Step 4 - Select destination track.
Step 5 - Use function paste at origin - no need to move cursor.

ok. I’m almost there. what does “split loop” do? i will read up just in general and then why not move the cursor? paste at origin? - doesn’t that paste at the beginning of the destination track?

the place where i paste in the destination track could be anywhere in the track. since these are mixed downs, i dont need to worry about timing in the other tracks.
there is just 1 source and one destination track.

C’mon dude, show a bit of gumption here, If you had tried this you would have answered those questions. But Split loop, splits the part at the left/right locaters of the selected loop, to enable just that part to be copied. Paste at origin will paste at the same place in the timeline (On whatever selected track) as it started- ie it’s origin.

Okay, well then this should be even more simple, I thought you were having problems pasting at the same position, sorry if i misunderstood. Still worth learning these techniques though.

2 Likes

Yes I said I’m a newbie here trying to wrap my arms around all this stuff that I got other things to do than sit and read all day but I appreciate everyone’s help it’s really giving me a jump into the software.
I don’t think the help manual really outlines it so I can understand it anyway. Once I do understand it and go look back at the help manual I realize the way they explained it but I would never have got some of that stuff without you guys helping. There’s a lot of terminology it’s not defined either because I’m not an audio engineer and should know this stuff or it’s just terminology specific to Cubase that I’m not familiar with like these terms I asked about

ok, bear with me here. i hope this allows me to upload multiple images. if not, i’ll just describe my steps. PLEASE TELL MEI’M DOING SOMETHING WRONG OR NOT.
I KNOW i could have just imported the ending in this instance to the destination track without going through all these steps. but these steps are what i need to do pasting audio in the middle of a track andthis was easier to demonstrate.
i did screenshots of this entire process step by step attached if i can upload them.

ok, i did a project from scratch. i set it up, imported 2 wav files from my Zoom.

one file (song) had an ending that i wanted on the other song. these are both mixdowns of projects on my Zoom.
steps:
-i imported the other track with the ending i want to copy to the destination track.

-i went through, selected the ending on source track, (i saw the selection) i then ctrl-c’d that ending and chose the destination track and tried to paste the ending on the destination track.
-next, in this case i used the Range Selection tool since i could easily select the ending by dragging the tool.
-next, i choose the destination track again and try to ctrl-V to the ending of that track after i choose the “Object Selection-normal sizing” tool again
-i use the “P” command in the destination track to set Locators to selection range (sets them to the beginning and end of the entire destination track)
-i do “Go to right locator position” after i do the “P” command and it somehow puts me at the beginning of the track - not where i wanted to be - now i cannot see where my cursor is so i -try this again - no luck - so i MANUALLY set my cursor as close as i can to the end of the track. i did “P” in the editor window and then “go to right locator” worked. so it doesnt go to event end by default??

-ok,now here’s where i get a problem. do i need to do something before i can paste the source audio to the destination audio??? if you look at my dropdowns i have no “Paste” options .
-i choose “Paste Relative to cursor” and it looks like nothing happens.
-I go back and select the source audio again and try to move the “end event” out further
-i select only what i want from the source track.
-i select the destination track (((wow is this a lot of steps or what ???_)))
-I ctrl-V and the audio does not paste after the cursor for some reason
now i select the “space” between the end of the destination audio ending and the pasted content. and hit “delete/DEL” key.
-ok so the next screen shot looks like it shoved the ending of the source file over the ending of the destination file (so I undo)
-upon “undo” i see it looks normal now. how is this possible??? i just did “undo”!
-ok so it looks ok but i dont know why and i hit Ctrl-Shift-A to unselect everything - nothing appears to happen
-so i select the source track and re-select the destination track and it looks ok - do you see anything wrong with this picture??? why in the world do i need to do this to update the screen? does not always seem to happen. i have no other programs running. stopped unnecessary background processes.
-ok after a series of “tweak deletes” i get the ending the way i want it and take a listen.
-walaahhhh! it’s done.

-i export the file in both .mp3 and .wav formats
(another question) when you export audio file, does it mix down all the tracks in the project by default? i can’t find this in the documentation.
how can i just export the selected track if i want to do that??? delete all the other tracks? that doesn’t seem very elegant. i have a lot of need to export individual tracks so i can put them back on my Zoom R24 to play in the projects on there.
NOTE- THIS I BELEVE IS MUCH MORE SIMPLE THAN TRYING TO PASTE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TRACK ON THE DESTINATION TRACK!!!

So, for “in the middle of the destination track somewhere” - i was told to “split at cursor” or “Split in loop” to cause 2 events? to be made and then i should do all the same thing only paste after the 1st event or between events??? i’m not clear how to do that and i CANNOT find it in documentation nor do i know even what to search for to do this…

-ok tried to upload the screenshots and can only upload 5 files at a time… hmmmm.
of course the upload in reverse order. now i gotta try to order them in this post because EACH 5 screen shots are in reverse and reverse order. so the best i can do is tell you the first screen shot i took at the beginning of this process is the last one but you can tell etc…
-NOTE ALL TEXT BELOW EACH SCREEN SHOT REFERS TO SCREENSHOT ABOVE IT!

FINISHED PRODUCT AFTER “TWEAK DELETES”

had some sound artifacts in the mix so deleted them with range select/Del key

deleted the extra space with a select and Del key

i pasted the source track copied audio here but it did not copy correctly - had space before it

it sent me here where i didn’t want to be. i said “go to left locator” (near end of the file)

source track selection

source track to copy

my import for this prject. (next 4 screens above)

Source and destination files

Okay, screenshots would have been helpful to begin with, as you did not explain you were trying to copy from the editor window to the arrange page. You do not need to do it like this, all can be achieved from the arrange page very simply.
Make the track on the arrange page you wish to copy a potion of bigger, Then simply use the range tool to select the portion of the track you wish to copy, Then select the destination track (Also just in the arrange window) and hit paste.
Step one - Make the track you wish to copy from bigger in the arange window, Zoom in (in the arrange window) and use the range selection tool to select the bit you want to copy.

Here I have made bass guitar di track bigger, then soomed in and selected the part i want to copy with the range select tool. Once selected i hit copy, Under file menu or ‘control c’
Step 2 - Then I select the destination track - also in arrange window only - In screenshot you can see i have selected to copy to the track ‘L vox 1’

Step 3 - With destination track selected in arrange window (L vox 1) hit paste.

As you can see what I selected and copied with the range tool from the bass track is pasted into L vox 1 track retaining it’s original position, Of course this can be dragged wherever after this step.
You do not need to be doing anything in the editor window at the bottom as you have it displayed in your screenshots.
I would close that editor window and give yourself more space to make tracks larger on the arrange page.

1 Like

ok i guess i am glad i did screenshots. i also did not or do not understood the purpose of editor window.
should i not use it or why would i use it ?

so the arranger window is the top window?

i can tell you one of the main reasons I didn’t use that window is because even with the click to grid unchecked I still couldn’t select anything with Precision like I could and the editor window. I don’t know how to stop it from snapping which it seems to be doing, in the arrangement window. I have tried but it still seems like it’s snapping to a grid when I make a selection.

do i just have to select more than what I want to select and copy it? And then trim it off?
I still think it’s not going to work that way.
How do I select with the same precision as I can in the editor window then?

I tried some various settings with no success on that window. I even changed the default 1/16 notes to 1/32nd notes I believe, but, when I did an export of the audio file, it now plays faster than it should. Not by much but just enough to notice it…
I don’t know that was the setting that caused that or parameters in the export window.

I suggest you put aside the editor window for a while.

• Close the lower zone completely.
  • Then, deactivate snap. Its J on the keyboard.
  • Then press 2 to get your range selection tool.
  • Select your range.
  • Hover your mouse cursor over the selected range until you see a hand cursor.
  • Click, and keep mouse button down.
  • Start dragging to the destination track.
  • On the way there, keep down Alt
  • Once at exact position, release mouse button.

If everything went well, you copied a selection range over to another track.

1 Like

You could have just watched some of the many Cubase introduction/help videos on youtube, and saved everyone a lot of time! :rofl:
If you had spent any time looking at what the tooltips said (Or a brief google) You would have found that the Snap on/off button is here

You need to familiarise yourself with these and the quantize settings really. And the snap to zero crossing function, which is also in that same toolbar.
You say :

You think others have not got things to do too? Other than answer questions you could have easily answered with a quick google? :joy:

I made a post with screenshots showing you how to do that, again, did you even try? Zoom in to the track and use the range selection tool, make sure snap is turned off, you may want snap to zero crossing on though, I will not explain why, you can look that up!

You are trying to run before you can walk. None of the settings of the quantize values will change the speed of an exported track. This is likely to do with sample rates.

Or using the third mode of the selection tool, “resizing applies time stretch”. Shorten the event a little bit, it plays faster! :wink:

1 Like

Oh yes, sorry I stand corrected.

The trouble is, if a computer program doesn’t resonate with you, if it’s not love at first sight, if it’s not like you were meant for each other, eh. It’s unfortunate, but you need to put in the effort to make it work.

1 Like