Just been playing around with PRO2…all I can say is WOW!
I bought Dorico initially because I thought after seeing it, that given a few years, it could become something really worthwhile. I wanted to show my support by investing in the product and the recent upgrade has really hit the mark. I don’t do a lot of writing to picture these days, but I made a film about a poem by Imtiaz Dharker which is on the current English Lit. GCSE paper, called ‘Tissue’. I set some music to it that I’d improvised almost a decade ago by fleshing it out in Cubase 9.5 PRO with my newly acquired Native Instruments Symphony Series sample orchestra. You can see the initial film here:
In order to make this film, I took the original improvisation (a WAV file) and imported it to Cubase. I then set about reconstructing the string parts in midi. After that, I took a recording of the poet reading the poem from this performance.
I feel Dharker always reads her poems too quickly. There is too much imagery for the listener to take in, so I broke the poem up to fit my composition. I then used various films on YouTube to compile my film, cutting the film to the soundtrack I now had. I used an ancient video program called ‘Liquid 7’ (Avid did their usual thing…bought a great program, then let it die…sound familiar?) that I have got to run on Windows 10. Anyway the reason for my post is that this is not what usually happens when writing to picture. Usually the composer is the servant of the picture not the other way round (unless you’re making editing pop videos).
So when I saw that Dorico now has this ability to alter tempi to video, I decided to try and recreate what I’d essentially done in Cubase, but now within Dorico. I had already scored out my soundtrack and put it into Dorico a few months back, so I took the film without soundtrack, exported Dharker’s lengthened (broken up delivery) poetry reading as a WAV file and imported them both into Liquid so I could have the film with Dharker’s reading on the film’…just like you would receive from a director.
I imported the film to the Dorico file I had and within an hour or so, managed via tempi changes to line up the score with the original reading, sounding for all intents and purposes very similar to my original finished film. I have yet to understand markers and how hit-points could have made this process probably quicker, but it’s really great to see something like this being implemented. I can only say that I am more than happy that the team are marching forward at an incredible pace. Well done all round!