Write harmony

Is it possible write something like attachment file?

I think we need more information. Are you asking whether Dorico can replicate the figured bass notation you show or whether, given the figured bass, Dorico can realize the harmony above?

If English is not your native language, please feel free to ask in your native tongue. If Google Translate does not allow us to translate, presumably the Dorico Team (or another user) can find a native speaker to help.

Yes and How ? (I know that Dorico has a simple notation for this, but not exuctlty like attachment image.) I have got tried but itsn’t correct.

(I use Dorico Pro 3.5)

If you want multiple notes in one voice, you need to either hit Q to turn on chord mode (or use the triad icon in the left panel), or use the Shift-I (intervals) popover, or play chords straight in from a MIDI keyboard.

No, i want write given the figured bass, as in example.

If you really want to replicate this example, do not choose a piano instrument. Choose choir reduction instrument (so that the bar lines end at each staff). Enter x in the time signature popover (shift-t) or open. Use whole notes (and q if you write your qords with your computer keyboard), and to input your barlines invoke shift-b popover and write two pipes (||). After you’re done, you can proceed with the figured bass (popover shift-F) in the lower staff.
Hope it helps.

In spite of the new example, I still do not know what cccdin wants to happen or to see. Can someone help me understand?

1 Like

i want Write figured bass numbers.

Thank, i 'll try it.

The main issue seems that the vertical stacking order of the figured bass is reversed in the OP screenshot. I’m not at my computer right now, so I can’t check whether you can enter this non-standard FB notation in Dorico. Haven’t seen this before BTW, but I’m no harpsichordist. Maybe it’s more common than I know.

I think Dorico not support advanced given figured bass notation.

Dorico does not yet support these kind of compound intervals (where a specific voicing is provided, but rather than using numbers above 8 to express intervals larger than an octave, numbers for the higher octave are written using numbers below 8, but positioned according to the actual voicing), but this is something we plan to support in a future version.

(While Dorico might not support absolutely every possible kind of figured bass, I challenge you to find another music notation application with even half the support for figured bass as Dorico has.)

1 Like

No, i have not found. Really. BUT… when make something, i think be complete it. I hope to future.
:slight_smile:

Frankly, I don’t understand why the figured bass in the above document is written this way. If the order of the numbers is intended to show the voicing, then it’s far from consistent. Why is the 2nd chord symbol written with the 7 on the bottom whereas the d" is notated as the top note of the chord? Same with the 3rd chord: the 6 is voiced above the 5 in the notation but underneath in the figures. Same with the 4th and 6th chords. The 5th and 8th chords are the only ones in which the unusual order of the figures follows the written chord voicing.

1 Like

The numeral notation does not seem to illustrate a “Figured bass” (Basso continuo) notation but rather an harmonic analysis notation to explain how some tensions (suspensions) are resolved.
The example in the first post shows four examples for suspensions (Vorhalt) and though these are classical harmony progressions the numeral notation system used is aproximately the same as I had to use for the harmony analysis exercises I did as I was studying jazz arrangements.
It means it uses the same numerals used for the tensions as in jazz chord symbols and a sharp symbol alone indicates a major third.
The second example seems to be a continuous progression and cccdin wants to use the same system as in the first example.
I don’t know how he wrote the numbers in Dorico but depending how he dit it, Dorico can lead to confusing results as to my knowledge the program does not have the specific ability for this kind of harmony notation.

Maybe it is possible to use several lines of lyrics instead.

EDIT
Yes indeed, it is easy to use lyrics as you can see in the picture.
I did not took the time to use the right font in order to get a correct “Sharp” but one can guess the idea.
harmony-test

This is what I came up with for the second example in the OP’s posts. My custom is to put the figured bass in the middle of the Grand Staff and the Analysis as a lyric below.

Yes, is a sample from an harmonic analysis. Dorico uses a rudimentary stage. It is at the right of stage. You can enable with [shift+G] (figured Bass) or [Shift+F] (Figuering), but is not enough to use for classical harmonic analysis.

See Daniel Spreadbury’s answer in this thread Roman numerals? - #2 by kimfierens